Is my platy pregnant? :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! Im new here to Platy's and i was wondering if she is really pregnant! I will be so excited if she was <3

img_1387781_0_d1e1887d470067647e7bd5e410b55142.jpg

Amis said:
Hi! Im new here to Platy's and i was wondering if she is really pregnant! I will be so excited if she was <3

Im almost positive she isnt.

Aww! Oh well thank you anyways! :) Its just that she was showing symptoms of pregnancy!

Platies seem to be naturally a little more "plump." When she is pregnant, you will see a dark spot growing right behind that solid looking area....it is referred to as a gravid spot. As the fry mature inside, you can actually see their eyes. One question..do you have a male in the tank?

I did but sadly he passed. So if a fish ahs a gravid spot usually means they are pregnant? So does that mean my guppy is pregnant?

img_1389012_0_593ec84a272181ea257734af981b60ca.jpg
[/IMG]

Amis said:
I did but sadly he passed. So if a fish ahs a gravid spot usually means they are pregnant? So does that mean my guppy is pregnant?

[/IMG]

Guppys always have gravid spots, they are normally lighter when not pregnant and dark when they are, post a pic and we can help. So sorry about your platy :'(

Still too blurry to really see but guppies tend to breed better than rabbits. If the female is in a community tank, however, you won't necesarily see the fry as they, sadly, usually end up as a snack to the other inhabitants. The mother has to be separated from the other inhabitants, preferably in a separate tank, and the fry tank planted with a lot of fine leaf plants for the fry to hide in to avoid even momma fish.

A fry tank should also only be equipped with a sponge filter as a regular intake will pull the fry into the filter.

She looks pregnant to me, 2 or 1 1/2 weeks I would say.

Back
Top Bottom