is my tank ok for breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shoelessdan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 15 gallon tank, set up with a filter and lid with lights. I put in 22 minnows (some seem to be fathead minnows and most are rosy red minnows, i'm attempting to breed them. I can't tell witch are male and witch are female, or if they are pregnant or not. I made a homemade spawn mop out of black acrylic yarn and boiled it before i put it in the tank to get all the dye out. I read online that the fry will hide in the spawn mop and they wont get eaten. The temp is consistently at 75 degrees. The minnows all seem to be eating and swimming together. The water is a little cloudy right now, i think i overfed them a little. Though i did a 2 gallon water change....still cloudy. I have a few fake plants, and a few fake structures i bought at the fish store. Also i have a few little snails. Here are some pictures of the tank and fish :D

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

My 1st question is, "How can i get them to reproduce faster?" I read that leaving the light on for 16 hours a day can help make them mate. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

My 2nd question is, "How do i know witch is female and witch is male?"

My 3rd question is, "Do you think the homemade spawn mop would work?"

Any advice/answers are greatly appreciated Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom