Is she gravid or bloated???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machotaco

Aquarium Advice Freak
The title says it all please help! I have no experience with breeding and here are most of the facts about my tank id think u need.

45 gal
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate (have not checked because I have live plants that keep it under control)
Ph 7 (give or take .1)

Flora: water wisteria, Anubis, Pygmy chain sword, thin leaf java fern, java fern.

Fauna: 5 black phantom tetras (3f 2m)

Only have had them for a week. I feed them a pretty small pinch of omega one super colour. Here are the pics of her. In the first pic you can kinda see some dark colouring behind the black gill colouring. The second pic just shows her width.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408492406.848812.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408492424.603221.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

At this point, the only real way to tell is if you see her defecate, she is gravid. If not, it could be either. If her scales start to protrude out like a pinecone, she is sick ( dropsy). If she's eating fairly heartily and hanging with the rest of them, most likely she is just gravid.

You should, however, check the nitrates to make sure the plants are doing their job efficiently. You can still have a nitrate reading even with live plants present.

Hope this helps.

She ate well this evening and is schooling with the rest. I will watch her some more before lights out to see if she poops :p thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom