Is the guppy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimmingWithTheFishes

Aquarium Advice Regular
The woman at the store told me all of them were male guppies. So, even though i thought one ("jane") looked like a female I left with them. And now I think jane is Pregnant! One female can't live with 3 males either- So before i give her to a LFS is it a gravid spot or a bruise or what? The other guppies seem to pick on Jane a lot. nipping at her belly...How long do i have until the babies (if im right)?

Sorry these picture stink!

Attachments

• tank 029.jpg
    tank 029.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 81
  • tank 027.jpg
    tank 027.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 72
Hard to tell for sure from the pic. Is her anal fin fan shaped or straight like the other males? It does look like a female, and if it is it looks as if about a month until she gives birth. Unfortunately she will be harrassed to death most likely if she is the only female in the tank with males. I would return her and get another male.

Yeah, sorry about the pic. Her anal fin is very clear in color so it's hard to see its shape. I certainly don't want her harrassed so much, but these are my first fish-- what is the protocal for bringing a fish back to a store? I assume I should call first but what else? and how should i transport her- will her pregnacy make her especially delicate to move?

Her pregnancy will not affect the move. I would call the store and tell them you were sold a pregnant female instead of a male. Livebearer's like guppies should be kept with at least 2 females to one male. I prefer 3 females to one male. The males are relentless when there is a female in the tank.

I agree, I have 1 male and two females and that little guy is a persistent one! Always harassing the other two. I can't wait until my fry grow out some more so I can add some more females to cut down on the harassing. Unfortunately the only fry large enough to go into the main tank is another male.

If it is a female it usually takes 26-30+ days until she starts dropping fry. Good luck!

So i went and bought a 6 gal nano (my second tank ever woo hoo!). I was planning on putting the boys in there and getting a couple girl friends for Jane. I filled the 6 gal with 1/2 fresh water and 1/2 water from my current 20 gal. I also put a medium sized rock and a small piece of drift wood in there to seed it. Any advice? Oh, and the kit didn't come with a heater and all the heaters at the store were for 20 or more.....what is a good heater for a 6 gal?

Oh, and the kit didn't come with a heater and all the heaters at the store were for 20 or more.....what is a good heater for a 6 gal?
A 25W heater would be a good one for that size tank, but I am finding they are hard to get at local stores. I was lucky to fine a used visotherm at my lfs at 25W, but I am going to have to order my other one online.

A 25W heater would be a good one for that size tank, but I am finding they are hard to get at local stores. I was lucky to fine a used visotherm at my lfs at 25W, but I am going to have to order my other one online.

I agree, the 25W visitherm stealth is the small heater I would most trust. If your LFS doesn't keep them in stock, Dr. Foster Smith currently has all sizes of their visitherms on sale; $15 and change for the 25W, which is a really good price.

if it's a female, and was ever in contact with a male, then she is almost definitely pregnant. Guppies are like the fish version of rabbits, or mice....

She is a pretty female, though.

Back
Top Bottom