Is this a bad idea? Re: Guppy Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandomUser445

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a planted 10 gal tank with 6 male guppies and a bare 2.5 gal QT. I have begun looking into breeding my guppies and was wondering if this is a good idea, or if should just forget about it until I can upgrade.

My idea:
At this time, I cannot upgrade to a larger tank, so I'm thinking of getting a a 5-7 gal and adding 3 female guppies. This way I could introduce only certain males and only when I wanted them to breed (Although I am aware females can store sperm).

I plan to let let the female have her guppies in a net/trap in her aquarium and then transfer the guppies from the female tank to the male one. The males could have their pick and hopefully a couple fry will survive.

If any do survive, I'll keep any males I like the look of and sell the extras and any females to my LFS/online.

So yeah. Please let me know if any part of this is a horrible plan or if there is anything I can do to tweak it. I'd appreciate any advice/criticim/encouragement. Thanks!!!

P.S. If this was the way I went, what is the max # of full-grown males I could keep in the 10 gal? I've heard anywhere from 5-30 and am very confused.

Guppies will breed like crazy, and because of that they aren't worth much value to pets stores unless they are some really uncommon, exotic strain. With that being said I would use caution with this plan, and try to find definite buyers before following through.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I wasn't planning to make money off of it. I figure if worse comes to worse, I have a LFS that will take them off my hands as feeders.

Sieshel said:
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I wasn't planning to make money off of it. I figure if worse comes to worse, I have a LFS that will take them off my hands as feeders.

Have you contacts your LFS to make sure they would take them?

Have you contacts your LFS to make sure they would take them?

Yes, I inquired when I was first starting out with guppies since I hadn't decided if I would breed or not. They barely pay anything, but as I said, I'm not looking to make money off it.

In one drop your whole tank will be over stocked, not a good idea.

My girlfriends mom has a 10 gallon with some guppies. She was reasonably stocked at first but now she has over 30 guppies and they're conatantly making more. You need a bigger tank than a 10 gallon

I agree. I breed guppies and I promise you will be overrun in short order. The other issue is that it takes guppies a few months to grow out enough to be able to sell to a LFS, so you'll need a larger tank to work with.

Back
Top Bottom