Is this Guppy "squared off" and about to give birth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I keep missing my guppies births as Ii've not really got a good grasp of what being "sqaured off" is. Please look at these pictures and tell me how long you think these guppies have till they give birth. Sorry the pictures aren't great.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 232
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 189
Two problems here:
1.) the pictures are bad quality or
2.) your tank is in horrendous shape and needs a water change.

2.) your tank is in horrendous shape and needs a water change.

you really can't make that judgement by those pictures. I agree that the pictures are poor quality but that's no reason to bash someone. You don't know what the water parameters are or the water change schedule.

Sorry I don't know a lot about telling when I guppy is going to give birth except that from what I've red the gestation period is about 28 days.

Hard to tell from the pics really but it appears she is hanging out by the heater which is a sign that she is soon going to birth.

Well from what i wan see, the orange tailed guppy is ready to pop any day, and so is your other guppy.

And guys, the pictures could be bad quality because of a glare from a window or lamp, but if it is the water that is cloudy , something needs to be done. Females like to birth after a water change, so you could try that to trigger birthing.

ashleynicole said:
you really can't make that judgement by those pictures. I agree that the pictures are poor quality but that's no reason to bash someone. You don't know what the water parameters are or the water change schedule.

Sorry I don't know a lot about telling when I guppy is going to give birth except that from what I've red the gestation period is about 28 days.

I said that the pictures were bad quality OR the tank needed a water change. I wasnt bashing.

sorry I just don't think you should make assumtions without asking a few questions first. instead of assuming their water quality was bad you could have asked "is there any way to get a better picture? It is kind of cloudy or blurry". and cloudy water doesn't always mean something is harmful for the fish.
anyway... looks like some other people gave some insightful answers already, maybe try a water change a see if that induces labor? lol.

thanks for the help, I missed the black guppy's birth :( and they all got eaten in the main tank. I'm keeping an age on the orange one waiting for them any day soon, however her gravid spot is a orangey colour instead of black? As for the conditions in the tank, they are fine, I do regular tests and it's an established tank, due to it's window location there is a large amount of algae in the tank which may appear to make it look unclean.

ashleynicole said:
sorry I just don't think you should make assumtions without asking a few questions first. instead of assuming their water quality was bad you could have asked "is there any way to get a better picture? It is kind of cloudy or blurry". and cloudy water doesn't always mean something is harmful for the fish.
anyway... looks like some other people gave some insightful answers already, maybe try a water change a see if that induces labor? lol.

I wasnt making assumptions. When i said that i wasnt saying they had water problems. I thought that would trigger something like "oh ya i havent changed the water in a while." i wasnt trying to be rude.

I really haven't taken any offence at all here and can totally understand the initial anguish at the thought that my guppies were in bad conditions, however I really would just appreciate some guidance on how I can ensure that I time putting the guppies in the breeding trap at the correct time as I keep losing fry from mis-timing.

chris87 said:
I really haven't taken any offence at all here and can totally understand the initial anguish at the thought that my guppies were in bad conditions, however I really would just appreciate some guidance on how I can ensure that I time putting the guppies in the breeding trap at the correct time as I keep losing fry from mis-timing.

Well from what i heard from someone, they said they remember the exact day the fish gave birth and around that time they start looking at the fish and moving it to the trap

I have watched my guppies and from the day she gave birth and it was 29 days to her next batch, if you know the day then you should be able to time it within a day or two

From the pictures I would say that she is hanging out by the heater so IMO I would say she is squaring off :D

Back
Top Bottom