Is this TETRA pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicsdragon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone think my Tetra is prego? She very active and hungry but she's pretty huge for a tiny tetra? If she is what should I do? I never had a pregnant fish before!

Attachments

• 110-1056_img.jpg
    110-1056_img.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 110-1056_img.jpg
    110-1056_img.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 273
  • 110-1056_img.jpg
    110-1056_img.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 210
What kind of tetra is that? Either way, tetras are hard to breed in an aquarium setting, and almost rarely happen by chance.

It's hard to make out by picture, is there any way you can try and get a closer shot? Or maybe I just have crappy eyes. :roll:

I'll try to get a better pic! I'm not sure of the name but she is a very light brown color with a neon orange stripe. Thanks

It looks light what the LFS's around here call glowlight tetras. It does look full of something, perhaps eggs. If it is a lone female, it could have certainly filled with roe.

I had a group cardinals in a tank scatter eggs amongst ambulia plants.

I have also had "pregnant" looking cardinals die. They seemed to get chased by a 'male' then another 'male' from the school chased the first 'male' away then a third would join in. I don't think any one male had a chance to spawn with the female. I don't know if eggbound female tetras die from that. Does anyone know anymore info?

I haven't seen her being pesterd by anyone but she is the lone glowlight left in the tank. Her mate died a few weeks ago. How long is their gestigation period?

She won't lay any eggs (I don't think) unless a male is there to fertilize them. Fish fill up with eggs in a few weeks if fed properly, then spawn when environmental or biological triggers occur, eg a temp. drop, rain or a willing male being present.

Back
Top Bottom