Is this wrong and irresponsible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shynepo3

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a male and female in a 10 g and 5 g respectively. I don't want to raise fry or breed. All I want to do is let them spawn and have the opportunity to have sex (sorry to be blunt). Would allowing them to do this and then immediately discarding the eggs and nest be wrong?

If your worried about if they are "sad" because they haven't spawned it's ok. If your Bettas never spawn in their life it's ok! I IMO would say yes, as it's is a long and difficult process for them. I don't see how you would get the eggs. It's ok if they don't spawn. Has your male made bubblenests? If so don't think he HAS to spawn. They will do this for most/all of their lives.

Well, stupid me already put them in the same tank, separated by a divider. I got too exceed for them I guess.

Within 2 min she had vertical bars. And I've only seen horizontal ones on her. The male however didn't make a nest right away

Could the vert bars mean something else? Cause she was going a but crazy, and going in the opposite direction of him, up and down the glass. It looked like she wanted to run away from him.

So I left them overnight, and this morning there was a bubble nest. I guess when I get home, I'll remove the divider, watch them do the deed, and then separate the female.

Then ill scoop the nest out. But I wont ever do this again unless I wanna raise the fry.

Or should I just move the female back to her tank? They wont get sad or disappointed at this point right?

I took her out. If they'd rather not spawn, then I don't want them to go thru the process. And breeding is not my thing really.... as much as I'd like to see fry grow to adults.

Theyre back to their normal selves.

Back
Top Bottom