I'VE GOT EGGS!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyred

Aquarium Advice Addict
OMG, I'm so wound up!!! I was checking on my fish just now and I was looking at my ram's typical hiding place under the cabomba and there are eggs.....a bunch of little white eggs all over my black gravel!!! OMG!!! What do I do???? Do I leave them and give them a chance, do I grab a 5 or 10 gallon set-up and start a fry tank to take care of them myself!!! HELP!!!! Avice, I need advice big time....what do I do???? I think they just laid them today, they weren't there this morning or at noon either. MAYDAY!!! SOS!!!

Yes, Rams will spawn in hard, neutral water!!!!

PM sent....

Excellent job...... :)
And that was the easy part. Now's dcision time...
Remember, if you decide to take some eggs out, take them all out. If you only take some, thinking of keeping some in the small tank, the parents will feel threatened and eat the rest.

Congratulations!! I'm jealous! :)

Hopefully you'll get tons of great advice from the experts here (all I've bred so far are Corydoras).

Thanks y'all. LWB, I'm going to print your PM and study it closely. I haven't decided what to do yet, I'm going to leave alone for now, and decide tomorrow. I don't anywhere to put them tonight anyway. Here's some pics I thought I would share....this is as good as it gets with a cell phone.......I didn't want to bother the parents too much.

Not a problem. If there's not much of a threat from other fish, you should be fine. But if they do feel threatened, chances are good that they might eat the eggs. I'm still not clear as to why they do that rather than moving the eggs to another location, but it's just what they seem to do.

Again, congrats on the eggs. Let's hope you get some wigglers. (y)

Congrats! I want to get my Bolivian a boyfriend...maybe I can get some eggs out of them. I've never had fish eggs before!

I hope to have a pair of GBRs in my new 55g.

The dad looks great!

Oh yeah, Kristen, I highly recommend these fishies for your tank.

These two have been busy since they laid these eggs. They are so cute. They take turns guarding and fanning. Nothing has happened to the eggs yet, they're still there and Mommy and Daddy ram won't let any fish get near their nest. This is precious. I love it. Still playing it by ear.

crazyred said:
Oh yeah, Kristen, I highly recommend these fishies for your tank.

These two have been busy since they laid these eggs. They are so cute. They take turns guarding and fanning. Nothing has happened to the eggs yet, they're still there and Mommy and Daddy ram won't let any fish get near their nest. This is precious. I love it. Still playing it by ear.

Eggs should hatch in 3-4 days, and some a little longer. Then in 5-7 days after hatching, they should be free-swimming. :)

Eggs went bye-bye. No suspects. It could have been the parents, or other hungries in the tank. I think I'm going to watch and see where they lay their next set and maybe try to retrieve them to a breeding tank. What a rush to see eggs in your tank and watch parents stand guard....I'm hooked now.

Just so you know, it will more than likely be the exact same spot. That's what mine do, they use the exact same place every time.

Back
Top Bottom