Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I've had it with guppy breeding

Started this hobby in July. Maybe end of August, a friend recommended I mate the guppies I had bought - they were 2 males at the time. So I bought females and mated. Since September, I had 4 batches of guppy fry, each batch between 5 -9 maybe, and in the end, having 1 or two of each batch survive.

But what followed was painful - each female started to die. And die a very slow death. I understand now it was because she was overstressed by the mating. And I have realized the tuxedo guppies are the worst in doing this.

Currently with three females, and having just lost 2 days before, I see two more females on top, in the corner, one especially showing a cone-like shape coming from her bum. I can't take this anymore! I thought guppies were a bit stronger. I don't have the heart to dispose of her, but she will end up dying soon.

I'm discouraged. Is it safe, at least, to only have male guppies then in the tank? Because seeing this only makes me want to give up this hobby I just started and am invested in.

Along with balloon mollies and platys, what can I add? Or just stick with those? At least the female balloon mollies don't seem to get this dire after birth - am I wrong? The males don't seem to stress them like the male guppies do. Thoughts?

Old 11-22-2020, 01:19 AM   #2

I've had it with guppy breeding

Hey there, donít give up! Ensure that the water quality is pristine as that is the key for a healthy aquarium. Also, yes it would be fine to have just male guppies in an aquarium, however, donít get discouraged just because in the meantime you canít get anything right. Weíve all been there and surely this is a valuable experience for you; learn from your mistakes and youíll be better off. Remember that some of the more experienced people have also had problems before so donít feel bad about yourself. Guppy breeding is suited for beginners and is quite easy, so just be persistent and youíll get the results you desire. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2020, 04:39 PM   #3

Re:

Thanks for the boost of confidence Sadly, I just had to dispose of the female, *sigh* There is one left with two tuxedo guppies. What is equally sad is that just yesterday, I went to buy another female and it died less than 24 hrs! Hours after I introduced her to the tank she was floating on top and swimming lifelessly. Found her dead in the AM. I check my water every day, it's all balanced, the pet shop verified it was 'perfect,' yet she died hours later. Could it be I bought a sick guppy? It was only $1.99

These females are so sensitive. I love that I have fry, and I think for now I'll just watch them grow. I don't know, maybe I need a break! I'll see how it goes. For now, I feel so bad for that last female in the tank. She is young, but I fear she will suffer her fate soon

Tags
breed, breeding, guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com