Jack Dempseys spawning??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bully405Customz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just got this pair about a week ago and the male has been showing signs of wanting to breed. So today there was a little more shimmying than normal. Well now they are both in their little cave and the female is pushed up against the top right of it and she hasn't moved in at least 30 minutes. Is this normal behavior?

I forgot to add pics. The first one is what they are doing now and the other one is just the pair

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111207_180833.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111207_180833.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 70
  • ForumRunner_20111207_180856.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111207_180856.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 80
Sounds and looks like spawning behavior to me! I say eggs within 5 days...put a flat rock just beneath the gravel in the cave where they seem to be hangin out.

Awesome. I'm doing a pwc as we speak so ill add a piece iin there now. How what is the average fry these guys have?

The only experience I have with breeding fish is with my mouth brooders so the substrate spawners are new territory for me. Any help is welcome. Lol

Most of mine have been good parents, my EBJD not as much, but he is also a fail on spawning sometimes as well. I've always had better results raising the fry in their own tank, but it is much more work.

well I'm not necessarily trying to breed these for any real purpose besides I enjoy have the fry and watching them grow so survival rate isn't super important. Plus I don't have another tank beyond a little 10 gallon.

JD's are great parents for a week or so i've gathered...basically until they start getting ready to spawn again ,which could be every 3 weeks or so

Bktgifridays said:
JD's are great parents for a week or so i've gathered...basically until they start getting ready to spawn again ,which could be every 3 weeks or so

Dang. So if mine actually start breeding I'm gonna have quite a few little one to take care of. Lol
Your ebjds are amazing btw.

Thank you! The pair in my profile was as actually a rescue...a shop near me was closing and a guy had returned them severely burned by toxic water and im working on getting them back to good health and possibly getting a spawn from the infamous EBJBxEBJD

Yeah...i never really knew how hard they were to get a hold of until recently ...we had a guy in my area that had several quite successful breeding pairs apparently and was supplying most of the local stores until he starting selling exclusively to a whole-saler out of Canada ...now i haven't seen an EBJD within a 100 sq+ miles of my house. Hence why i'm busting a$$ with the EBJD project!

Would it be possible to introduce a new ebjd female to my male and make a pair or is there a chance my male just wont like her?

Back
Top Bottom