Jaguar pair accidentally ate some babies!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Elizabeth

Aquarium Advice Regular
my jaguar fries are now free swimming but we found out that it's really hard to feed the parents w/o them accidentally eating their babies too. the LFS where we brought the pair only fed them feeder fish so they won't accept pellet food etc.. . should we transfer them in another tank? would this be ok? the babies are now eating on their own. :( help

Yes, I'd transfer Mom-n-Dad and proceed to grow-out the fry.
Have you decided what your going to do with'em all? Is your LFS gonna buy'em from you?

You can train your Jag's to take pellets and other foods.
It may sound cruel (its not), but its just a matter of time and hunger, you can do it a couple of ways.
Start with dead fish, when they get really hungry they'll eat'em, sometimes you can move the dead fish around with some string or something. later you can start introducing other non-living food items such as shrimp, cut fish, and wean them onto pellets.
Or you can just starve'em until they get good and hungry....
It may take up to 5-8 days but then they'll eat the dagblasted pellets, if it can be done with Oscars, it can be done with Jaguars :roll:
Just what ever you do, don't give'em any live fish unless its a matter of'em absolutely starving to death.

i'm still trying to find a really good LFS, we already found some that are willing to buy them when they're ready, but i'm looking for an LFS that can explain to buyers about the Jaguars... i know i can't avoid some of them ending up in a very small tank or end up tankmates toother kinder species of fish like goldfish and non-cichlids, but still there's a greater chance for them if the LFS know enough info to guide the buyers :D these guys are bullies, we removed the parents just now and i got a good yelling from my mom, she doesn't want the mother to be apart from her babies, she said i don't have a heart and she won't listen to explanations :lol: i don't want to separate the parents too but it's the only way i can feed them w/o the babies getting sucked in their mouths. besides the babies are doing fine on their own eating algae and crushed flakes.

Back
Top Bottom