Jewel EGGS*free swimming pics*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gohabs9

Aquarium Advice Regular
i wen up stairs today and there they were a whole bunch of eggs, newly laid within the past hour

what do i need to do to get them to raise them
i removed the 2 plecos rights away as i heard jewels kill at breeding time
there 3 jewels in there right now
2 parents, 1 non parent, do i need to remove the non parent??? pics up soon

any other info appreciated

**edit**unreal i go downstairs to where im gunna move out the one fish ( not sure what it is) and theres more eggs down in my basement tank of parrot chiclids(pics up soon of those too

**edit 2*** removed the final jewel just ma and pops in there now

Good plan....jewels can be killers when they have a brood....I just lost a 10" senegal bichir to a pair of blood-red forest jewels when he strayed a bit too close too often to their current cloud of babies....all the rest of the fish in that tank (65g) are respectfully hanging out in the other half of the tank right now.

Be aware that jewels are very prolific breeders, and once they start, they will likley produce at least 5-6 clutches before they take a break....I hope you have a lot of grow-out tanks.

lol i try my best

how do i know if they are fertilized eggs, and is it 2-3 days to hatch?

img_792788_0_8400d08f49f3656847385f7eb23efd50.jpg

img_792788_1_3e064e2c5e2f4c1fdbd9f347ce0a4df3.jpg

so they look fertilized?
lol i was surprised to see them today, i left and when i went back an hour later she was already done.
ill try and get some good pics of the parents, and hopefully of the little guys when they are born

Ok so the eggs have hatched there s little bunch of fish buzzing in a little sand pit, amazing how small they are, no how to i go about feeding them, and what shoudl i feed them and how often?? Also should i wait a certain amount of time before their first feeding, they hached at around 5:00 EST
thanks for any advice
i will get pics up as soon as they start swimming around, they are just all on the bottom in a bunch right now

They will eat microscopic bits floating about in your tank for the most part, especially for the first 2-3 days, but you can toss in some finely powdered flake or some frozen rotifers or algae powder for them. That is what I am doing with my current batch of forest jewels.

Angry the Clown said:
Wow, that's awesome! Great picture of the fry!

wow, its so hard to get pics of the fry, i took about 20 and these were the best i got, im still gunna try to get some more better pics of them

Great shots...I wish I could get decent macros like that.

Now keep up with water-changes and good food, and they will double in size in about a week, triple in two weeks.

I fed my jewel babies cyclop-eeze. Watch nitrates. Keep em safe. Mine were very prolific breeders (think guppy, molly or convict). I had new fry almost every week.

Toirtis said:
Great shots...I wish I could get decent macros like that.

Now keep up with water-changes and good food, and they will double in size in about a week, triple in two weeks.

how often should i be doing water changes??
i just did a 20% today
i cant get away from that tank, im always watching them

gohabs9 said:
how often should i be doing water changes??
i just did a 20% today
i cant get away from that tank, im always watching them

As often as you can.....if you can manage 20%-25% daily, all the better.

ive lost about half of them so far
theyre eating crushed flake food but still quite small

i missed the post earlier...great job...
i fed them crushed flakes, cyclop-eezee, and frozen bbs.
when they grew up a bit, new life spectrum growth.
be ready to remove either male/female if the aggression gets outta hand. my male killed the female after a week the babies became free-swimming. (29g tank)

there is some talk about dithers lowering aggression between pairs. but, none of the fish i put as dithers worked. both giant danios and bloodfin tetras were mowed down brutally.

also, prepare to cull some of the babies, if you have the heart to do so. i didn't, and after 4 months ended up with about 50 or so strapping jewels, with nowhere to go.

Back
Top Bottom