Jewel fish pair not breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I both a pair of jewels fishes from my lfs about 1-2 months ago and I assume they were holding as the next day they bred and produced babies

But from then one I haven't seen them breed at all! It seems like the male is ready to breed as he keeps flashing and shimming but the female doesn't seem interested and I don't know what to do to encourage them

For food I keep changing between flakes, granules and live food but doesn't seem to be working :/ there are angels in the same tank that bred yesterday but the jewels ended up eating the eggs -_-

Any help why are they not breeding and what can I do?

What size is tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What else is in the tank? Might be too small and stress the fish out since their is 2 pairs

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a pair of angels but they don't bother the jewels
And they are a decent size!
They bred the next day when I got them home from the lfs and looked after the fry as well and now all of a sudden they have stopped

Well I have bred angelfishes and the tank is a 200 litre tank with the angels and other small fishes

Thing is I'm confused because as soon as I bought them from the lfs the next day they bred and they hatched and everything but they have bred since that!

It's been a month or 2

They liked it better at the pet store!
They bred for you but they got brought into breeding condition somewhere else.
You are not meeting their needs .
When I breed a fish on purpose ,with effort I give them their own tank and make it as close to how they and they alone would like it that I can..
Not in a community tank with ANGELS. The angels will bring a quick and I will guess violent end to other fish having fry in that tank IMO?
Just guessing myself here.
Did you read the link?

+1
Water changes induce breeding in many fish and just because they spawned as soon as you brought them home does not mean that if not given the same care as the store, they will breed again.
Jewels and Angels are not a good mix to begin with and if you have too many other fish in the tank as distractions, fish won't necessarily spawn. I've done Jewels in 10 gal tanks so the tank size is not the issue ( probably) so it's either the conditioning or water parameters you are keeping that may be the issue. Ask the store where you got them what they were doing and copy that. (y)

Ok I'm going to try and do a water change todyay. how much would you suggest to do?
It's a 200 litre tank

Hello? I did a 50% water change but I haven't seen any difference what can I do?

They probably don't like the water parameters? What are you feeding?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I mean I have done 2 water changes large ones as well. But if they didn't like the water they wouldn't have bred the first time would they?

I fed them flake/pellets and live food but might be heading to dry freeze food

Back
Top Bottom