Joeys new tank set up...Breeding discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check out these test results tank has only been filled up for two weeks!!!

image-2300815752.jpg

Very nice! I recently cycled one of those lfs multi tier system with a canister filter pad and about 25 African cichlids in 6 days. It's amazing how resilient the bacteria can be. :)

Very nice! I recently cycled one of those lfs multi tier system with a canister filter pad and about 25 African cichlids in 6 days. It's amazing how resilient the bacteria can be. :)
thanks and I used all new sponges and bio media.

So your just putting your two breeders in there? Or is it a grow out tank? Im sorry but that's a lot of work and overthinking to breed discus. Like they can only have the parents in the tank and normally, people around here use 20-30 gallon with one sponge filter l. Also normally they like to spawn on Rock slate/tile but im sure they will.lay there eggs on a piece of dw. Also you shoukd use a 50/50 mix of ro water to get a greater success rate. Discus have up to 400 wigglers

So your just putting your two breeders in there? Or is it a grow out tank? Im sorry but that's a lot of work and overthinking to breed discus. Like they can only have the parents in the tank and normally, people around here use 20-30 gallon with one sponge filter l. Also normally they like to spawn on Rock slate/tile but im sure they will.lay there eggs on a piece of dw. Also you shoukd use a 50/50 mix of ro water to get a greater success rate. Discus have up to 400 wigglers
yeah I'm just going to be putting the breeding pair and that's it! The extra filtration ect. Is me making a little challenge for myself I want to have a self sustainable discus breeding setup which requires no water changes even when breeding the discus I will not need to use RO at all the water round here is really hard with a high ph but the water hardness and ph is dropping at perfect speed due to the bog wood, almond leaves and peat moss once the eggs are fertilized there is no need for soft water anyway the only reason domestic discus strains need soft water is to keep the eggs more permeable for the 10-15 minutes while the male is fertilizing them after this it is absolutely unnecessary! I'm leaving the fry with the parents so they can feed them that's a lot of hassle taken from my back and then I have local fish shops ready and waiting to take on the fry :)

I see I just no some fish like iniridae need the lower ph to help dissolve the shell. But it sounds like you have it all planned out. The moss and leaves will work great for your ph. The humic acids will lower your ph nicelyl. Since you want this tank to be sustainable. How are you replacing your minerals for your fish? They are very important for a good growth rate

I see I just no some fish like iniridae need the lower ph to help dissolve the shell. But it sounds like you have it all planned out. The moss and leaves will work great for your ph. The humic acids will lower your ph nicelyl. Since you want this tank to be sustainable. How are you replacing your minerals for your fish? They are very important for a good growth rate
although I don't have to do water changes the tank does loose around a litre of water a day I guess this is because of the air pump in the open section where the plant roots are. I add discus pro minerals to the water I add. I will keep this thread updated and I probably will come into problems so will be nice for you to keep a little look out for me :)

Did you check out the video of when the tank was first up and running its in the previous page I will make an updated video in a week or so :)

Ya I did and im going to follow. I was gonna do some discus but I was recently challengeed to spawn some cardinals

Added some more wood and re-arranged it. And got a few pics of the infamous fan shrimp! Lol

image-2951970980.jpg

image-3026874503.jpg

image-3422206485.jpg

image-285590837.jpg

Nice I thought it looked like it. Christmas moss is a rather slow growing moss to my understanding. I've never really had good luck with it though but I didnt dose CO2 when I had it and well moss eats co2 lol

Nice I thought it looked like it. Christmas moss is a rather slow growing moss to my understanding. I've never really had good luck with it though but I didnt dose CO2 when I had it and well moss eats co2 lol
im not sure if moss is hard to establish or what but i too have never had much success hopefully for whatever reason these do well

Tested the tank today only done two water changes since filling the tank including cycling and no water change has been done since the last test but still all are zero! Maybe it is self sustaining!

image-693840100.jpg

What all do you have in there now?mostlikely the plants are jist eating the bioload up if it's to small. Which in turn is self sustaining in a way.

What all do you have in there now?mostlikely the plants are jist eating the bioload up if it's to small. Which in turn is self sustaining in a way.
only got four Micky mouse platies. Six rcs and 12 nerite snails oh and two blue fan shrimp when I get the discus I will be swapping the platies for the breeding pair :)

Got some more shrimp today anybody know the breed???

image-1355203992.jpg

And added some Anubias to the wood :)

image-3943386422.jpg

Back
Top Bottom