Joeys new tank set up...Breeding discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me too! I will keep posted on success or no success lol settling in very well though!

Do you have any close up photos of each fish by anychance?

Hey Joey awesome tank setup. I saw your post and been trying to drop in and follow along. Reading this thread and doing a little research on the web has sparked a huge interest in discus fish. Looking forward to seeing more about your fish. What breed are they?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey Joey awesome tank setup. I saw your post and been trying to drop in and follow along. Reading this thread and doing a little research on the web has sparked a huge interest in discus fish. Looking forward to seeing more about your fish. What breed are they?

Hi iowaguy they are blue cobalt keep searching the web and reading every article and watching every video and then watch them all again lol discus can be hard but not once you get the basics right I'm here to help if you got anything specific you can't work out. The key is loads of water changes and loads of feedings!

Thanks I'm excited about getting started. I have been doing some research and the big problem I see myself having is water hardness. I have extremely hard water. So I need to find a RO water source or find a way to soften it myself.

Same man my water is hard! I buy ro from the shop bit annoying carrying it up four stories to my flat but I'm gunna buy my own RO unit when I get my own place :)

I'll have to look into one. How much they go for?

Depends on brand and size best just to have a look about mate. Devotedly discus are who I go to for everything as all their equipment is specific to keeping discus and they're cheap too.

Thanks I'm excited about getting started. I have been doing some research and the big problem I see myself having is water hardness. I have extremely hard water. So I need to find a RO water source or find a way to soften it myself.

Are you looking to breed your discus? An ro unit removes the mineral and will give you a greater chances of fluctuating ph. Also the discus need the mineral for growth and etc.

Joey have you looked into desirable traits and judging of discus at all?

I would like to breed them if I can. Are they like angels you have to get 6 and wait to pair off and when do they become sexually mature?

Well it would be best to purchase 10-15 jouvies and let them grow out. This way you know more of the background. Then cull or sell the undesirable ones with lumpy heads, lumpy and ovaled bodies uneven eyes and gill plates, curved gill plates etc. this way you are only breeding the best. Take them down to a reasonable number and allow them to pair like angels. Take the pairing ones out to spawn.

It is best to get a pure strain. If you have f1's your fry may be different then the parents but sometimes depending on what you wanna achieve you need to line breed back to the parents to say remove the black line in the eye since it is undesirable or create different strains.

You can purchase a breeding pair but examine them thoroughly and ask to see the parents. It's pretty late at night and I work in the morning, I will explain more tomorrow of someone does t beat me to it. And for breeding ph will play a role. The amount of wigglers is greatly impacted with high ph.

Normally people do this before they spawn a fish. How else do you know what to cull or what is a good breeder to use.

Thanks for the tips I have a good idea of how to get started. I have been looking at the blue diamond and the fire dragon. I wasn't going to cross breed at all keep with this colors. But I like them a lot

Thanks for the tips I have a good idea of how to get started. I have been looking at the blue diamond and the fire dragon. I wasn't going to cross breed at all keep with this colors. But I like them a lot

Well say your blue diamond has a yellow eye(undesirable) and the fire dragon has a red eye. It could be possible to get a blue diamond red eye. From the f2 generation.

Back
Top Bottom