Joeys new tank set up...Breeding discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joeysdiscus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so a week ago my 300l planted discus tank cracked and flooded the lounge all the fish are alive and spread amongst my friends. My next tank I'm looking for around 300l also I have all the equipment ready including co2. It's going to be a while before I get this tank but thought I would start thread so that in the future you can all follow. I'm soooooooo gutted about my tank splitting just can't wait for the next. Anyway so I'm asking all you planted tank pros of any knowledge you can share with me I'm going to be using aquarium soil capped with 1 inch of black sand I want two big bunches of plants in the two back corners with bogwood over the top of them to look like roots going up into the two back top corners I then want to add rocks around the base of these parts of bogwood with smaller pebbles after them and then sand in the mid front of the tank I would like to start from the front with foreground small plants the ones that look like grasses then working back to bigger small stemmed plants then behind the rocks and bogwood in the corners a few large stemmed plants and a large bunch of purple/red coloured plants right in the back corners. If anyone has any recommendations of plants to use etc. etc. any help/suggestions will be muchly appreciated! Cheers in advance!

Wow that sucks super bad but better than what happens to my friend last night his wife was putting perfume on an must of got in the tank killed the whole thing. Im kinda new to plants but i just got moss balls darf pennywort Anubis an banana plants.

Got the tank it's a 240l or 55g tank with sump built in on back I'm going to be filling the sump with bio balls and rooting houseplants in them to suck up the nitrates/ammonia here's a pic I got the tank for £50 around 65 dollars :)

image-2003540750.jpg

image-3432024030.jpg

Here's the stock list I want does it sound okay or is there any problems???

image-3334588185.jpg

For that size tank I would suggest doing an 1-1/2" of Organic potting soil (be sure it's organic) and 1-1/2" of sand. Also keep some sand back so you can make touch ups after planting and if you ever want to uproot any of the heavy rooters like the sword.

I've only had overflows with sumps in my SW reef tanks but know it will affect your CO2 levels, meaning you may have to run your CO2 higher than you would in a sumpless tank. You'll have to do some research on that problem.

What is your lighting going to be? If it's not high enough you might have trouble with the P. Helferi (downoi) as it needs at least medium light. It will grow taller and get leggy in too low of light. You also will need to consider a good fert dosing regime if your using CO2. Although the rest of the plants you have listed will need root tabs as they tend to be heavy root feeders.

For that size tank I would suggest doing an 1-1/2" of Organic potting soil (be sure it's organic) and 1-1/2" of sand. Also keep some sand back so you can make touch ups after planting and if you ever want to uproot any of the heavy rooters like the sword.

I've only had overflows with sumps in my SW reef tanks but know it will affect your CO2 levels, meaning you may have to run your CO2 higher than you would in a sumpless tank. You'll have to do some research on that problem.

What is your lighting going to be? If it's not high enough you might have trouble with the P. Helferi (downoi) as it needs at least medium light. It will grow taller and get leggy in too low of light. You also will need to consider a good fert dosing regime if your using CO2. Although the rest of the plants you have listed will need root tabs as they tend to be heavy root feeders.

I have two 24w plant pro bulbs and I'm not using co2 in this set up.

When I read this: " have all the equipment ready including co2" I assumed you were using it. Not sure if that will be enough light but all you can do is try. If the Downoi doesn't do well or grows tall and lanky then you don't have enough light for it. It will help to use root tabs around your Downoi planting.

When I read this: " have all the equipment ready including co2" I assumed you were using it. Not sure if that will be enough light but all you can do is try. If the Downoi doesn't do well or grows tall and lanky then you don't have enough light for it. It will help to use root tabs around your Downoi planting.

Yeah sorry I've decided not to as I'm going to have a baby running round the house soon getting into everything and don't like the idea of having pressurised co2 lol. Okay il try get another 24w that will be 72w for 180 litres thanks for the info I've added root tabs to the list I will be doing inch of plant soil then sand then fine gravel. If the downoi starts getting lengthy rather than bushy I will have to either ditch it for another plant or up the lighting thanks for the info!

Just finished the lid had to make it from scratch as it didn't come with one, what does everyone think??? The screws for the two handles will also hold the light fittings :) it means there won't be any ends of screws hanging out the top and I can lift the lid off and on easy! I've put reflective foil tape on the bottom to reflect light.

image-4213691510.jpg

image-1867463113.jpg

image-3277558235.jpg

image-1784102389.jpg

Anyone know any good house plants to sink the roots into your filtration???

Potho's cuttings are one of the easiest to use in this manner. I had a huge plant that grew with roots in the water and the stems/leaves hanging over and down the side of the tank. But mostly any house plant that can be root started in water from cuttings can be used. Just be sure to look to see if they are on the poisonous plant list and if so don't use them.

Potho's cuttings are one of the easiest to use in this manner. I had a huge plant that grew with roots in the water and the stems/leaves hanging over and down the side of the tank. But mostly any house plant that can be root started in water from cuttings can be used. Just be sure to look to see if they are on the poisonous plant list and if so don't use them.

Thank you :)

Looks like a cool scape from here!

I've changed the thoughts of plants in the sump at the back going to have split leaf philodendron lucky bamboo and umbrella papyrus :) just can't wait to set it up now! I have a question if anyone could help me out... The house plants in the filters that I have listed do they need they're own light above the tank or is indirect sunlight enough if not could I just use a standard desk lamp would that make any difference in growth???

Cool! I like the idea. I'm setting up a new tank now as well. Just ordering everything tonight. My name is joey, too. Lol. I'm not to familiar with riparian type ordeals, but I think it would help if you could give them some extra light. Although, light spilling from your fixture now might be enough.

The led lights for the house plants hanging out the top just got delivered!!! Il upload a pic when I plug them in and test em out :)

Back
Top Bottom