Keeping the Filter Safe for Fry???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desi

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are some creative (or more so simple) ways I can slightly alter my filters to keep them safe for fry? I'm currently keeping cut pantyhose over the end of one in my "nursery tank". What is this sponge thing I hear about? Is it as simple as covering the hole with a peice of sponge? Any input is going to be greatly welcomed :)

I've used a piece of panty hose over the intake of my filters many times. If you go to Walmart or a fabric store, you can find thin sheets of 100% polyester fiber that you can wrap around it, or a small mesh fabric.

If you're close to a fish store, you can buy a filter cartridge refill and cut off the poly-filter covering and use that, or find a sponge filter.

What are some creative (or more so simple) ways I can slightly alter my filters to keep them safe for fry? I'm currently keeping cut pantyhose over the end of one in my "nursery tank". What is this sponge thing I hear about? Is it as simple as covering the hole with a peice of sponge? Any input is going to be greatly welcomed :)
The 'sponge thing' is just a cylinder shaped sponge that literally slides over the end of the pipe...

Taa-daa!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130316_133310.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130316_133310.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 181
I use a net type thing I found and folded it over and rubberbanded it to the filter lol. I don't have fry in that tank, but I had my lil senegal bichir get sucked up and died before I did something . :(

I use a net type thing I found and folded it over and rubberbanded it to the filter lol. I don't have fry in that tank, but I had my lil senegal bichir get sucked up and died before I did something . :(

What do you mean by "net type thing"? Like, mesh? And aww :c sorry to hear that. I've lost fry that way before so I try to be so careful.

Yeah, like a mesh..i found it at work, couldn't think of the name but that's what I was looking for haha.

Back
Top Bottom