Killifish breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fdsh5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have experience breeding killifish? I am setting up another tank (#9) and want to put two pair of killifish and some CRS in there. I am specifically looking at killifish gardneri. I appreciate the help

So I went to the fish store and ended up with a trio of australe killifish orange. I figured I need to take a picture before I let them loose in the tank. Now I just have to add the shrimp. Oh, and the mop too.

Oops forgot the pics

Attachments

• image-114117594.jpg
    image-114117594.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2033799064.jpg
    image-2033799064.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 74
How is it going so far? I'm interested in breeding killies too, I hope someone with experience can chime in!
What are your water parameters?

Oh wow..I didn't realize from the other thread it was CRS you were going to add with them. Those are expensive snacks!

I have a friend that has an overtaken tank with CRS. He will give me as many as I need so if the first 50 I put in there don't make I won't put any more put will all the hiding spots I figure enough will survive. On a sad note, the male killed on of the females. He has bonded with the other female but was having no part of the other female being in the tank. Everytime he saw her he took a run at her. I found her floating yesterday when we got home from turkey dinner. The other female is plumping up so I am assuming she is getting ready to drop eggs. I need to get some black worms as I read they love them.

That's so awesome. I wish someone would give me 50 CRS!

I cannot believe that happened. That is so weird. I've never seen male on female aggression like that! :(

I could never tell what food they love more than another. They seem to go nuts for just about anything. Same for most killies I've kept.

I was surprised at the aggression too. It may be because the tank they came from was a 40g with nowhere to hide. The two still kicking were swimming around together so I assume they were a pair. I wanted the other female to give female #1 a break now and then from breeding. Guess that didn't work out.
Yes I guess I am lucky with the CRS. The fish club I belong to is awesome. Everybody loves helping each other out. Now I just have to wait and see what happens. Doing a pwc today so I will look for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom