Kribensis Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate to tell you this, but they are both males to me. One is just bigger then the other.

The other picture, judging by the coloration of the tail and what looks like the dorsal fin extending out and coming to a point.

Here is a side view of my female. Do you see how the dorsal fin is rounded at the end, along with the tail?

img_502629_0_d2a1526e5ef5a9f9f044f623adb0656d.jpg

Any chance of getting another pic of the first one? A side shot like the other one just to be sure? I'm with Fawn that they both look like males. That tale tell pink belly isn't always a sure fire way of sexing them which is probably what the lfs went by.

You're absolutely right Cindy. That is exactly how the stores would determine the sex, which is absolutely wrong. When I first started keeping and then raising kribs, I got a male everytime they said it was a female.

A sure fire way to sex them is the dorsal and tail fins.

As for which one to keep, I vote for the picture title Kribensis 1. Or better yet, keep both, locate a female, let her pair up with one and then remove the other male.

IMO, you are pretty much guaranteed a spawing if you let them pair off themselves. Good luck.

I think I might have 2 more females that are growing out right now. If you can't find a female, let me know. I will send you one.

Thanks a lot for your help! macman7010 and I are going to go check out some fish stores this weekend to see if we can find some. He wants to get some to put in with his discus. Hopefully we'll find a female!!! I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom