Kribs... Finally!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have to admit, I am a little impatient. But after a couple of months of waiting, my kribs finally had babies!!! Today I looked at my 40 gallon tank to see not 1, not 2, but at least 30 kribs in that tank. The 2 parents seem to be changing shifts every now and again. I saw; them today with at least 30 something fry. What do I feed them? Right now I'm feeding them this catfish shrimp pellet that breaks down udewrwater into peices smalll enough for the fry to eat I think. I also tried some crushed food (I just took a bunch of adult food and ground it up in my mortar). And I'm also debating whether or not I should start a baby brine shrimp culture. First time cichlid, not first egglayer, but no previous ones survived. To my knowledge, this is the first batch of fry that made it out of the cave. But I do have experience with livebearers, and failed attempts with danios and cories (died at 4-6 weeks.) Bottom line: HELP!!!:thanks:

When I had my kribs, I'd feed the fry decapsulated brine shrimp eggs or golden pearls. Also, they would munch on the micronutrients found in the java moss. Other than that, they scavenged whatever they could in the tank.

Ok. Thanks. I'l add some java moss. And do they sell golden pearls in pet stores or is it like at a specialty store or what?

I think I got mine at kensfish.com. He sells just about everything and my fish love the food I get from him in bulk.

You can probably buy Hikari First Bites (think that's the name) at your lfs. The fry need to get the proper nutrition.

I'm not sure if my kribs are aggresive. They have a 38gallon aquarium all to themselves. And Ive decided to go ahead and start feeding them live baby brine shrimp.

microworms or bbs both work well, the best part about them is that they are alive, and stay alive for a while so they don't foul up the water or get fungused up quickly like prepared foods do.

Theyy're 5 days old today!!! When do the parents start abandoning the fry? Like when can I separate them so I can move the parents to a smaller tank? Because my aquarium is 24" tall by 32" long and seems like a waste of space for a couple of kribs. Theirs so much unused space.

I've had the mother stay with the fry for a few months. She's not going to abandon them like other parents might. Or, it could be the father that hangs with them.

You moved the parents into a different tank specifically to raise fry? Where do they usually go, or what usually goes into that tank?

Yesterday I moved the parents and fry to my 55 gallon community so I could breed convicts in the 40 gallon. The female is showing aggression to the male, but never left the fry. Also, I ran out of baby brine shrimp. I started another culture but in the meantime they are feeding off of the microscopic food on the java moss in my 55 gallon. In the tank are 2 male, 2 female, tons of fry swordtails, the krib pair and fry, 3 cardinals, and 5 small cories.

Oh and that resaech prior to purchase thing. I like that. Unfortunately I couldn't research before getting the kribs. The pet store gave me a pair and said "bring back $10 worth of fry." Every dark cloud has a silver lining ;-)

I feed my fry NLS growth formula and they love it. I usually separate them ASAP so the parents won't turn on them and eat them. Also, that gives me a chance to put them into a smaller, bare-bottom tank where they'll have an easier life finding the food. Produces less nitrates that way and the frequent water changes that are needed get easier too.

Ah i see. I have a local pet store, my mom knows the owner! We always catch up nd talk. I like it because he has tanks at home nd really knows the fish nd his quality at the store is great! Anyway how r the fry

Did they tell you at what age they'll accept the fry? My lfs won't take them until they can sex them which seems to be around 4-5 months.

Back
Top Bottom