L-46 Zebra Plec?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. I haven't been on here in awhile, but I'm diving back in. I've been eyeballing the L-46 for a couple of years. I'd definately like to try breeding, but first I'm looking for a reliable source for purchase. Any ideas?

As far as breeding; which is the real question, anyone here ever tried? What conditions are neccessary? As always with the fish community, I have found multiple opinions.

I doubt that he'll have any in stock since I don't think he gets them in anymore. Most of the ones seen in the U.S. come from breeders overseas and they are imported. I know of a guy in Chicago that has ones in stock right now that are probably what you are looking for. His name is Chris and re is very reputable. He is a sponsor on www.simplydiscus.com/forum and he has nice stock. I believe most of them are between 1-1.25" and he's asking $160 each for them, which is reasonable IMO considering that you really can't find them.

As far as breeding goes you want a 29g tank that has no substrate and you want LOTS of hiding caves and spaces, few plants, water with a temperature between 78-84, pH between 6.6-7.2, and a moderate hardness. You should have a powerhead or two in the tank simulating the flow of the rivers in which they are natively found. The flow should be about 8-10 times the volume of the tank per hour. Point the caves so that they are slightly facing the current because the males will use those caves to help raise the fry since the current will oxygenate and clean the eggs. Also, NO TANKMATES! Just the plecos. You will be able to keep a colony of 5-6 in a 29g tank but you need to have lots of hiding spaces and territories. Driftwood should also be added to the tank IMO. Lighting shouldn't matter as long as you try to recreate the photoperiod of the day for them. I'd use the stock lighting that comes with the 29g tank for example 6-8 hours per day.

As far as your breeding group you are probably going to want to purchase 4-5 individuals at the same time. I was actually thinking about getting some from Chris but I just don't have the time right now to properly take care of them. Here is his website: Welcome to Windy City Discus!
The best way to get ahold of him is by calling him since he doesn't check emails that often.

at 1 inch - 1.5 i think it can take several years before they are breedable size.
RiverWonders Tropical Amazonian Fish. Freshwater Fish, Marine Fish, Sting Rays, Piranhas, Plecos, Gold fish, Fish, Live rock, Zebra pleco.

Zebra Pleco L046 Super Sale - For Only 2 Days at $285!!

if you havent breed plecos before you prob want to try others first. i know someone who orders from that site to get theres.

Most of the ones seen in the U.S. come from breeders overseas and they are imported.
the small ones are. the adults are coming in from the wild a couple months ago a bunch was imported to the states.

Sweet Guys! Thank you!

Yeah, I'm still a ways from actually buying and breeding. Especially considering the price. Right now anything I have ever bread was by accident. Unplanned pregnancies . . .
What filters have you guys used when "purposely" breeding? I know the undergravel is VERY fry friendly . . . but I hate those.

As for trying another pleco first; I'll keep that in mind. Any recommendations?

bn would be the best first start. if your able to keep them and raise the fry then try others. for the most part they will breed on their own. once your able to get those down to a T you could move on to others.
Pleco Caves!!
this is a great place to buy caves for them to breed in.

with the l46 the prices are not going to get any lower. adults used to go for 500 i even seen some go for 700-800. since so many adults were flooded in the market many places had them for 350 and some were as low as 250.

I realize that this is a fairly old thread but thought to pass on a warning concerning L46. They are beautiful and feasible to breed with attentive husbandry. Right now their price seems to be holding steady at $190 for captive-bred juveniles.

Now, the warning:
It is tempting to buy these fish at near adult size to cut down on the wait time for them to reach sexual maturity. I am aware of someone who excitedly bought TWENTY to work with. Every last one was MALE. The supplier had held back all the females. Unless you extremely confident in the seller's credibility in representing them, their capability to select for gender, and have carefully hammered out an agreement...

Look for juveniles too young to be sexed, order a group, and cross your fingers for a gender skew that will make you happy. It is a bit of a gamble, but better than sitting down to a rigged game.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom