Live bearers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beehpee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, just a quick question before I leave for work so hoping to have some input for later, I have guppies, mollies and platty in a 35 gall, I get fry all the time but see them and within no time they're gone, eaten, I have a reasonable amount of plants and various types of cover, hiding places but still they go, I tried a guppie in a breeder trap and next morning she had jumped out back in to main tank, any suggestions other than another tank or more plants to give the fry at least a fighting chance of survival? Catch you later peeps.

BP

Flower pots could provide a better hiding place for them. Flip them upside down so only the drain holes are open and obviously choose ones that are only big enough for fry. Even then expect to have a high casualty rate without using a nursery tank

Java moss is usually a good fry saver. If you're that concerned about fry survival, your best bet is to remove the fry as soon as you can and put them in their own tank. I use a turkey baster to suck 'em up and transfer them.

Both great ideas, thanks for the input, need to work on her indoors regarding having a nursery tank lol

BP

I wonder if I can convince her we need a 50 gallon nursery tank, need to give this some detailed thought me thinks.........

Back
Top Bottom