Live-bearers not breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredShope1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 1 male molly, and 2 females, along with 2 male platies and 4 females. I had one baby a couple months ago, but haven’t seen I single baby since. My tank is cycled and I have a 29 gallon. Any particular reason I haven’t seen any babies? I heard live bearers breed like crazy

They do. The parents are probably eating them. How many hiding spots do you have for fry? Also you can go weeks without seeing a fry and all of the sudden there they are twice the size.

Hello Jared...

Livebearing females can hold off dropping their fry until they feel conditions are right for their fry to survive. Pure water conditions and the right foods will help. Fish need at least half their tank water changed weekly. This will guarantee a steady water chemistry. Also, a pregnant female is stressed. Add a little standard aquarium salt to the new, treated tap water. A teaspoon in every five gallons of water is about right. Salt has a calming affect on fish. And, make the new water a little bit warmer. I would also add some floating plants to the tank. This will allow privacy for the female and a hiding place for the fry. I would start feeding a little Spirulina every couple of days. This food is high nutrient.

B

Back
Top Bottom