Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2004, 01:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jayeleitch Send a message via Yahoo to jayeleitch
live birth HELP

My gold dust mollys have given birth, I have found 2 so far... Not sure how many to expect. I was just sitting there watching tv and happened to look over at my tank... and saw something little zip by... When i went over to investigate i noticed two smalls... one clear and one black...

How many am i to expect???? HOW do i take care of them...

I have moved them to a separate tank for now...

Old 07-18-2004, 02:09 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

jeyeleitch....

Welcome to Aquarium Advice and congratulations on the new arrivals!

The number of molly fry can vary considerably depending on the size of the mother but you can expect anywhere from 10 - 50 little ones. Taking care of them is fairly easy because livebearer young are relatively large. They can take baby brine shrimp (you can buy these frozen or freeze-dried) or even finely ground flake food. The biggest trick is to keep the parents from eating them!!

Old 07-18-2004, 02:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to jayeleitch Send a message via Yahoo to jayeleitch
Re: live birth help

do they all come at once??? or do they come in spurts... My mollies are wierd... the one chases the other one all day nipping at the under belly of the other.... I think i have distinguished the the female... She has a big fan under her belly along with a really black splotch covering her under belly...
Old 07-18-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Are there only 2 mollies? If you have one male and one female, the male might harrass the female to the point of stressing her out enough to make her sick or even kill her. More females are the solution to that problem, but you will wind up with rather a lot of babies!

She should drop them all at once for the most part.

Welcome to AA, BTW!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

[center:0560ce6bc8] Welcome to AA, jayeleitch! [/center:0560ce6bc8]

The fry should come all at once. The male may have been eating them and therefore you only have two fry.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

After 2 to 3 weeks, you can dump the babies back to the main tank, together with the parents. By that time the babies will be strong enough to swim away from the parents, big enough not to fit in the parent's mouth, but still small enough to hide inbetween gravels/rocks/ decorations /plants.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A fry tank is a good investment. Most float or stick to the side. This way there isn't as much transfer shock to the little guys. San francisco bay brand makes a brine shrimp hatchery. It's a nice little unit because the bbs swim up into a fresh water jar which you can pour directly into the fry tank. The other fish will eat them too. The hatchery comes with two or three hatch mixes, and you can buy more but it is cheaper to mix your own. I can give you my recipe when I get home (if I remember). The hatchery is about 10 dollars. I got mine at Petsmart.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've had anywhere from 12 to 90 babies come out of my female before. I don't take the babies out of the 10 gallon any more, but I still had around 90 to bring to the LFS this last time. The first time she gave birth I only found a few, but I think she also HAD fewer babies, not just that more have started surviving

If you want to be able to have her babies survive in the future without having to be removed from the tank right away, plants would help, especially floating plants like duckweed, water sprite, or anything that sends leaves to the surface like dwarf lilies, or sometimes banana plants.

The babies should be okay even without live food, just crush up whatever you give the parents into a fine powder. If you don't already some algea tablets or flakes, your mollies will love them.

many, many baby mollies
1 small clown loach (~2-2.5", returning to LFS in august)
newaridiar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth, live

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com