Livebearers not breeding-Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcr123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the long winded post, but I want to give as much information as I can to hopefully get the best answers possible. I currently have a 20 gallon tank set up. I’ve kept tanks on and off for years. This tank was set up in November. It contains livebearers as well as live plants (Annubias, Java ferns, ludweggia, and one or two others. I may have botched the spelling).
The filter is an aquaclear 50.
A problem I am currently having, and have had in this house for years with livebearers, is that the livebearers will not breed in my tank.
I currently have 2 female swordtails (I know I need to pick up a male-the store did not have any left), 1 male and 1 female tux platy, and one male and 2 female black mollies. I also have a yo-yo loach that’s serving as my catfish since they can handle higher ph, as well as an algae eater. I just added the swords and with no male, obviously I’m not concerned about them specifically. But the others won’t breed and in the past, neither would other swordtails and livebearers I kept. I’ve tried different ratios of males and females but no luck.

I have had enough experience in keeping tanks that I am 100% positive in identifying males and females so I know when I have both. I am also aware of the signs for a pregnant fish, which I haven’t been having, so I think I can pretty much rule out the idea that they’re giving birth and the babies are being eaten before I can find them.The fish are active, eating, and otherwise look healthy, but refuse to breed. The male platy completely ignores the female. The male molly will occasionally chase the females for a quick second and then gives up.

Water parameters are as follows.
Temperature: 79* F
pH: 7.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20ppm or less
KH: Around 40ppm
GH: Around 120ppm
I am using aquarium salt as directed.
Tap water is treated so it is de-chlorinated.

I feed a mix of a couple different types of flake food, usually 2-3 times a day. I am not over feeding.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!!

Back
Top Bottom