Livebearers- what to expect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok. I have a 55 gallon tank with a lot of hiding places, caves, plants, etc.

I have 4 bloodfin tetras, 3 black skirts, 2 gold barbs, 1 gourami-

And 2 female mollies, 1 female platy (all these were from tanks with males so they may eventually have babies) and 3 female and one male guppy.

How many babies am I looking at over the course of a year or so? I am trying to calculate how many fish I should add at this point while still leaving room for possible fry.

I don't intend to actively try to save babies, just let them give birth in the tank and hope some survive. I know some (most?) will most likely get eaten. How many 'litters' from those that don't have a male, and how many will the guppies put out and how often? How many do you think will survive?

Well from the guppies expect 50 a year in total. I'm not too sure about the others. But guppies will give you fry every 3 weeks for about 3 months out of the year it may be more or less depending on temperature and some other conditions. Each litter they have about 30-50 fry and most of them get eaten.

I think Crepe's estimates might be a little low. I started with two pairs of guppies. I cleared out most of the jungle from the tank yesterday to find 100+. The first batch of fry was born on Christmas Eve. Other than the larger guppies, I don't have anything that'll eat the fry. You may lose more as food than I do.

Guppies will give you a ton of little fry. Trust me on this one.

What I worry about are the other fish in the tank- the gourami, the tetras (there are now six black skirts) and the 2 gold barbs. I am concerned that they will eat all of them, even though I have a ton of hiding places. I really hope I get some.

Back
Top Bottom