Loads of Kribensis eggs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khalix

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my female krib for quite some time but could never seem to find her a mate. About 2 weeks ago I found a male and introduced them. She chased him around at first and I was dismayed thinking love was not in the air...

However, I noticed they took a liking to one another recently and disappeared into my tree stump cave an awful lot... finally shined my flashlight in and there looks to be hundreds of eggs covering the walls. :dance:

My boyfriend thinks I lost my mind because I was so excited about it. I decided it might be a better idea to gush here, so as to decrease the chance he has me committed. :rolleyes:

Here's hoping they don't randomly eat them!

In my experience with breeding kribs you should try separating the male from the eggs. The female seems to take on the responsibility of fanning the eggs and chasing other fish away from the fry.

Right now she stays in the cave and he stands guard outside. I will consider that, though. Someone else suggested I leave him in until the eggs hatch and then remove him so he doesn't harass her.

So you find it's okay to leave her to deal with the care and defense? I just want to be sure before I attempt to move him. I can't seem to catch him because he goes in the log with her and I don't want to mess with her spawn site.

By the way, is the female usually the more dominant? Everything I've read seems to imply that while the female gets more flashy in color.. that the male is usually more of the dominant. It just doesn't seem that way with these two.

True enough. I moved everything around hoping to lessen some of it.. but she certainly wears the pants. And thanks :) though I am trying not to count my eggs before they hatch.. I'll end up disappointed if they don't make it.

Well.. I'm not sure if the eggs have hatched(I wasn't sure when she laid them, they'd been nesting for a week at least), or if she ate them. She's still in the cave and he's still standing vigil.. but when I peeked in with the light I didn't see any. :(

The log they're in.. she could have tons of fry in there and I wouldn't be able to see them. it's tall and deep.

Here's hoping they're just lurking! I'm sure it'll happen eventually. :)

I just hope it wasn't me shining the light into the cave that caused her to eat them? Hmm.

I think I am worrying too much. Maybe they became wrigglers and dropped down?

I wouldn't remove the male unless there is any aggro between them as he helps guard the fry and allows the female a minute or so every now and then to get some food while he guards them.
They have always been fine together with me.

I'm sure they are fine and just hiding at the bottom of the log :) you're lucky, I didn't even know that mine had bred until I came home one day to find 40 or so fry being herded around :p

Im having problems with my kribs. The female spawns with the male but then she spawned with another male. The eggs never made it and now the male is attaking her and spawning with another female. Sigh it seems like once everthing is settled something goes wrong. I have the wrong ratio and am trying to fix it but i dont want to add another and have it end up killed but either way it seems like someone is going to end up dead and no babies. I dont know what to do. Ive asked questions but noone has answered.

I dont think taking the male away is really necassary because mine have little babies now and the male helps look after them when the female wants to eat something. Congrats on the eggs!

It probably just depends on the fish. I was reading that it's ok to take the male out if there are only a few babies, but to avoid it if there are a lot because mom can't handle it.

Owl, how big is the tank? I have never tried the multiple pairs but I can foresee a lot of issues with it. I know most people usually put multiples in until a pair is formed, but generally I believe you'd want to take the second pair out, or maybe at least the other male. Sorry I'm not much help. This is my first time breeding them.

its a 40g tank. I am going to try to take the extra male out but i have no place to put him right now

I dont think taking the male away is really necassary because mine have little babies now and the male helps look after them when the female wants to eat something. Congrats on the eggs!

I thought the same thing until my male started picking off the fry one by one. Eventually the female realized what was going on and started attacking the male. I eventually had to separate the two because they would not stop picking on each other. They were so consumed with each other they forgot to protect the fry and they became snacks.

I was just simply giving advice based on my experience. Other fish may have different personalities and will act differently.

Yeah, I'm planning to heed your advice regardless once the eggs hatch. Rather be safe than sorry. :)

I thought the same thing until my male started picking off the fry one by one. Eventually the female realized what was going on and started attacking the male. I eventually had to separate the two because they would not stop picking on each other. They were so consumed with each other they forgot to protect the fry and they became snacks.

I was just simply giving advice based on my experience. Other fish may have different personalities and will act differently.
Oh isee Meegosh, yeah my male is very good with the fry he even takes them in his mouth then spits them back out with the group, ive seen both my male and female do that

Back
Top Bottom