Look what I found!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seepu

Aquarium Advice Freak
A single Kenyi fry!

My dominate female was holding, and stationed herself in the small (10") piece of driftwood I have in the tank. She was holding, and didnt seem to like any particular place in the tank, except by my two return pipes, behind the driftwood. I added a silk plant to cover the driftwood, and then forgot about her. (I have been busy with my Christmas gift, of a new 90g SW FOWLR tank.)

I have Mbunas and the Kenyis together, and they all seem to want to spawn about the same time. I had a calico OB that held and released a fry a few months ago (I suspected the Kenyi was holding as well, but no fry, or they were tasty snacks), and anyway, the little OB guy is doing well, almost 2" now. He was the first fry to make it, tho I suspect it was that females second time holding.

Soooo this is my second fry in this tank. My females never look like their thoat is bulging, only on occasion, it looks like they might be jiggling the eggs or fry, but other than that, their throat looks normal. No eating, sunken bellies is what makes me look harder at my girls. I guess they just arent adept at picking the eggs up, or maybe they eat a few if/when they are too stressed or whatever.

I'm not sure what my parameters are, I have been obssessing over the SW tank.... well obsessing is what my husband calls it anyway.

[/img]

Attachments

• kenyi_fry.jpg
    kenyi_fry.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 58
  • kenyi_fry2.jpg
    kenyi_fry2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 79
  • kenyi_fry.jpg
    kenyi_fry.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 75
Hehe.. thanks. It took me 20 minutes, and 3 cubes of brine shrimp to get the adults out of the way. (they go crazy for the shrimpies, nice treat!)

It seems that the entire tank knows hes there, the bigguns would come and stare, get really still and look in the driftwood, the go back to eat.

I found some photos of the parents. (and a photo of my neglected tank, notice the water level? :oops: )

Bad photo of the male, this doesnt do him justice. The photo of the female isnt in her fancy breeding stripes, but it's all I have till my batteries charge in my digi camera. :roll:

Attachments

• tank_137.jpg
    tank_137.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 55
  • alpha_male.jpg
    alpha_male.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 44
  • alpha_female.jpg
    alpha_female.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom