Lost 3/4 of my fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When my kribensis bred the second time, I noticed at least 50-60 wigglers, but now there are only about 13.

I was told to only feed them when they are able to swim by themselves. Currently they are still trying to swim, but always fall down on rocks.

Could it be that the current juvies (2.5 month old kribensis) are eating the babies or the parents are eating the babies?

Or are the babies starving to death?

It is not abnormal to lose fry. My guess would be they are being eaten. If your worried about them, take the other Kribensis out of the tank and they should have a better chance for survival.

It's normal to lose fry if they are not in a separate tank as they get eaten by the other fish sucked into the filter or just die from stress and other things. If you want to save more move the breeding pair into a separate tank and once they release the fry move the parents out. This is how all my breeder friends do it and 90% of there batches survive.

My cichlid tank I just leave alone and have had over 20 fry grow up over the last 6 months just by themselves surviving. No special treatment.

Initally I took out all the other fish leaving my pair and an bn pleco. All 100 fries survived. But I guess this time, the previous fries were a threat.

When my kribensis bred the second time, I noticed at least 50-60 wigglers, but now there are only about 13.

I was told to only feed them when they are able to swim by themselves. Currently they are still trying to swim, but always fall down on rocks.

Could it be that the current juvies (2.5 month old kribensis) are eating the babies or the parents are eating the babies?

Or are the babies starving to death?

It's always best to keep each spawning of fish to themselves if you are trying to get a high survival rate. Community breeding is very stressful on the breeders and fish fry are excellent food for other fish. In the fish world, sibling rivalry is handled by eating the competition. Big fish eat little fish with no concerns for their kinship :nono:

Hope this helps...(y)

Back
Top Bottom