Male guppies harassing mama to be

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey guys help this new girl out... i have a very pregnant mama guppy and dont want her to die (from stress) there are a couple of male guppies who are constantly chasing her, 1 of them you can see in this picture, but this is nothing like it has been the past 2 days.. My guess is they want to spawn. They kind of remind me of teenage boys, girls you know what i mean here... anyway mama keeps trying to get away from them but they wont let her be.. i was told that the ratio was supposed to be 3 male to 1 female, now today i was told the opposite which is making more sense the more i watch this poor girl getting harassed.. i dont really have room in the tank for more females but she is so close to the end of her pregnancy.. i had allot of problems keeping my guppies alive, finally someone told me if i have a chinese algae eater that was probably what was killing them . low and behold that person was correct. i have had no more mystery guppy deaths. i did lose 1 whos tail fin got stuck in the filter and well you know... please help..... Emily seems to really know her guppy stuff i hope she sees this thread..

Last edited:
one of the males

this is one of the males who has been chasing her around... always by her side.. he is a pain in the but husband to her as she obviously wants to be left alone.

Attachments

• 7-27 pregnant.jpg
    7-27 pregnant.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
someone? anyone?? she has been at the bottom resting in the same spot for almost 3 hours now....

Put her in a breeder box or separate container to get her AWAY from those males! That 3male 1female ratio myth is really unfortunate. Let her settle down. Put some plants in her new container and separate her from both the fry AND the males to let her recover. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you adore, sadly I followed advice to let her out. Needless to say she lost her fry

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom