Male jewel cichlid hiding after "dancing" with female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecolover18

Aquarium Advice Freak
I added a jewel cichlid today to breed with the previous female when I added him both darken in a red color and started dancing after that he went into hiding, with the dark color, the female still comes over and rubs her body against him, One part of me thinks this is a step of the breeding but another says this is stress, jewel are pretty hardy fish so stress isn't going to do big harm as with breeding is natural and is okay in that state of hiding.

yes its fine . when shes ready she will clean a rock to lay eggs on. what kind of rock is in there for them

yes its fine . when shes ready she will clean a rock to lay eggs on. what kind of rock is in there for them

I have a round smooth rock but I found out today she is like ramming him and he doesn't move often but when this happens they both become bright red he also has nipped fins do you now what could be found on they spawned last night was I suppose to takeout the male?

they will be guarding and fanning the eggs if they are there. other wise its either same sex fighting or mating. are u positive they are m-f .

they will be guarding and fanning the eggs if they are there. other wise its either same sex fighting or mating. are u positive they are m-f .

I'm positive I tell there sex by there fins the one that is Being bullied has the fins going all through the fin as the female who has them on the rim on the fin and if its fighting why do they both turn blood red?

Here's some pictures

Attachments

• image-3315907710.jpg
    image-3315907710.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3989637248.jpg
    image-3989637248.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image-2271573227.jpg
    image-2271573227.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image-1987826958.jpg
    image-1987826958.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 77
Hi Plecolover,

I have 3 shades of Jewels that I am working with. From the descriptions of their actions, I would try to create a different pairing. I have found that the mates should choose each other from a few choices. I try to give my males - up to 3 females to pick from. I have an incredibly dark reddish - purple with black highlights, and some of mine have the Blue gene, and some look like a normal red.

I also have 1 male that if the fry start to disappear (when I remove the fry) he blames and kills his mate. I must remove her before removing the fry.

I have another pair that will try to chase the fry out of their tank when they want to spawn again. I am having around 4 pairs spawning at a time, now! I have about 4 more pairs that are trying to find the right mate.

kitty2234

Hi Plecolover,

I have 3 shades of Jewels that I am working with. From the descriptions of their actions, I would try to create a different pairing. I have found that the mates should choose each other from a few choices. I try to give my males - up to 3 females to pick from. I have an incredibly dark reddish - purple with black highlights, and some of mine have the Blue gene, and some look like a normal red.

I also have 1 male that if the fry start to disappear (when I remove the fry) he blames and kills his mate. I must remove her before removing the fry.

I have another pair that will try to chase the fry out of their tank when they want to spawn again. I am having around 4 pairs spawning at a time, now! I have about 4 more pairs that are trying to find the right mate.

kitty2234
The male got killed so I replaced him at the lfs and I got three more 2 females I'm pretty sure they all paired up but that behavior is gone and they are all hanging on the sand near the pair I also seen some spawning do you want to see a pic?

Hi Plecolover,

What size tank are you keeping all of these jewels in? I try to keep each pair in a 20 gallon tank. I have 1 pair that have decided to raise their young in a 5 gallon! This pair kicks the fry out at a fairly early age, but they agree on how to raise and care for the kids.

kitty2234

Hi Plecolover,

What size tank are you keeping all of these jewels in? I try to keep each pair in a 20 gallon tank. I have 1 pair that have decided to raise their young in a 5 gallon! This pair kicks the fry out at a fairly early age, but they agree on how to raise and care for the kids.

kitty2234

There all in a 20

Hi Plecolover,

I would guess that you will eventually find that your jewels will probably, sooner or later, start eliminating the other jewels. I have noticed that 'every time' I have a pair of jewels, all of the other jewels in the tank are killed off.

This is why I ended up moving my 1 pair to the 5 gallon tank. I thought that would change their minds about spawning. NO! It didn't stop them at all.

I need to finish my college homework for the week, so that I can work on my fish room. I am having air pressure problems. I have a leak in the system.

kitty2234

Back
Top Bottom