Male livebearers with a "type"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sorry if that sounds like an odd way of putting it but I've noticed that in both my mollies and platys that the male has a "type" preference when it comes to the females.
My Male dalmatian molly (previously thought to be female) only goes after my creamsicle molly and leave the female dalmatian alone. She has given birth twice and is pregnant again.
The same goes for the platy. I have a male black platy that goes after a goldust female but leaves the rainbow female alone. He's harassing her so much that I'm considering getting another female or just getting rid of him.
Anyone else notice anything like this? All the fish are healthy so it's not that.

Your Fish

Sorry if that sounds like an odd way of putting it but I've noticed that in both my mollies and platys that the male has a "type" preference when it comes to the females.
My Male dalmatian molly (previously thought to be female) only goes after my creamsicle molly and leave the female dalmatian alone. She has given birth twice and is pregnant again.
The same goes for the platy. I have a male black platy that goes after a goldust female but leaves the rainbow female alone. He's harassing her so much that I'm considering getting another female or just getting rid of him.
Anyone else notice anything like this? All the fish are healthy so it's not that.

Hello Sara...

It's always best to have several females for every male. This way, one female isn't exhausted from all the attention. The males are acting normally. Adding females is preferable, but you can also introduce some floating plants to help make all the fish more comfortable. Water sprite, Dwarf water lettuce, Anacharis and Hornwort will all work well to provide hiding places for the female and the fry. Just drop some individual plants into the tank.

B

Hello Sara...

It's always best to have several females for every male. This way, one female isn't exhausted from all the attention. The males are acting normally. Adding females is preferable, but you can also introduce some floating plants to help make all the fish more comfortable. Water sprite, Dwarf water lettuce, Anacharis and Hornwort will all work well to provide hiding places for the female and the fry. Just drop some individual plants into the tank.

B
My tank is 55 gallons and is moderately planted. I have giant duckweed at the top, plenty of anubias, Amazon swords, water wisteria and horn wart as well as rocks and driftwood. My mollies are fine since the females are aggressive enough to chase the male away. The platy has plenty of spots to hide but he just follows her everywhere. I have 2 females to a male and there are molly fry in the tank as well but he's only chasing the one female. I suppose I could add another female if absolutely necessary.

Back
Top Bottom