Male or female platy fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Recently one of my platies gave birth and to my astonishment, 22 survived in the tank. Luckily I have several folks who want some baby fish but they all want male and female. Problem is, they all look female to me. The anal fin looks definitely female. Is this normal? Or do male platy fry possibly look like female until they're bigger?

Thanks!

From my experience, as they get older their find change. all of mine look female until a certain point (I wish I could specify an exact age) because we will look and all of a sudden we have males. So they change as they get older

Laurie said:
Recently one of my platies gave birth and to my astonishment, 22 survived in the tank. Luckily I have several folks who want some baby fish but they all want male and female. Problem is, they all look female to me. The anal fin looks definitely female. Is this normal? Or do male platy fry possibly look like female until they're bigger?

Thanks!

They all look female at first. It takes a few weeks for males to develop a gonopodium. But don't worry, when I had my first batch of fry I thought they were all females as well ;)

Back
Top Bottom