Mickey mouse platy babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeathBish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got some new mickey mouse platys. Went to feed them yesterday and noticed babies everywhere. I know they will be eaten so I moved as many as I could. How long do I have to keep them separate from the big fish?

Until they are big enough not to get eaten . Depends on what other fish you have in with them . I only keep Platies so it doesn't take long till the adults can't eat the babies . Helps if you have a lot of plants for the little ones to hide in...lol

Until they are big enough not to get eaten . Depends on what other fish you have in with them . I only keep Platies so it doesn't take long till the adults can't eat the babies . Helps if you have a lot of plants for the little ones to hide in...lol
I have 4 MMP and a betta. The Betta is old though and he won't be around much longer. :( So you think like 1-2 weeks?

May take 4-6 weeks . What kind of tank do you have the babies in now ? If you can feed them 3 or 4 times a day they will grow faster . I just grind up flake food small as dust till they get a little bigger then they can eat the flakes in a little larger pieces . You can watch them and see when they can eat larger pieces .

Frequent large water changes combined with heavy feeding will allow for the fastest growth.

I have a 5 gallon I moved them to. No filter (isn't working), but has a heater. Staying at 76F. How often should I do water change, and what %?

They just started eating yesterday.

I would probably change a gallon or so a day if you don't have a filter . If I were you I would get a breeder box so you can keep the babies in your main tank with filtration . Hope that makes sense .

I would probably change a gallon or so a day if you don't have a filter . If I were you I would get a breeder box so you can keep the babies in your main tank with filtration . Hope that makes sense .
That does make sense. I've never had a fish that give live birth so this is all new to me.

Well,as long as you have platies you will have babies so don't stress if you lose this batch .

You can buy a small cheap filter for your small tank, I bought one for my 5 gallon shrimp tank from amazon. Better than changing the water every day

BETTA 150 Aquarium Fish Tank Internal Filter

You could buy a small filter for the small tank , but , if you don't seed it with bacteria from an established tank/filter then you will still have to make water changes daily. Even baby fish need a filter to handle the nitrogen cycle .

Back
Top Bottom