minnow breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henrysusername

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have good access to minnows in a small pond and ive been feeding them to my sunfish i was wondering if i could just breed minnows so i dont have to catch them

yeah you can. i catch minows around my place to. i dont know what kind they are but there live breeders and i was breeding them for a while but ended up needing the tank for another fish. but yes you can do it and its easier on you. depending on your situation you can just put a big airstone(bubble maker) in a small kiddie pull and raise them in their.

I don't have any experience with minnows, but I'd imagine that mosquitofish would be pretty easy to breed. They're livebearers.

i set up a 10 gallon tonight and i am gonna put some minnows i caught in it tomorrow some are already pregant and i got some tiny ones to put in it what should i feed them

I'm thinking that the minnows henry is talking about is the mosquitofish. Coming from Florida myself, I remember them being in every fresh and brackish body of water. They breed just like guppies. Throw them in a kiddie pool, give them a few floating plants to hide in and you'll have feeders.

ic... here in illinois, don't have much in our rivers and lakes ><... anything tropicalish anyways...

I bought some minnows at a gas station for fishing did not use them all put them in a old bathtub full of leaves mud and water here at the house filthy water really filthy my brother tunred the tub over about a year later to clean that area of the property and i saw tons of minnows that i figured were long gone but there was tons more.

all you gotta do is when hit "go advanced" and there is a button that looks like a paper clip... hit it, a window will pop up, hit browse, find the pic wherever it is on your computer, hit upload, once it uploads, close the window, and either preview or post

Honestly, i live in florida and they are just as easy to breed as guppies. Just like everyone else said, just through them in a pool of water (kitty pool, aquarium, etc.) and they will breed like wildfire. The picture you posted is kinda blurry and for some weird reason it looks like a tadpole but it is a mosquitofish.

also what kind of fish is this i caught it from the same pond

Attachments

• IMGA0109.jpg
    IMGA0109.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 78
definately looks like a bluegill to me, unless its a hybrid, they look alot like them, but get alot bigger. Im almost 100% sure its a bluegill though, i used to catch them like crazy in my pond when i was little

ive seen quite a few bluegill to it just seems alot greener and gets bigger ive caught them in that close to 2 lbs i think its some kind of sunfish heres a bluegill

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 317
i wish somebody else would chime in and put their opinion in, cause now i just wanna know what it is... i still think it looks an aweful lot like a bluegill, but i agree, it doesnt look quite like the ones google images brings up... hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom