miracle-gro Sphagnum Peat Moss Safe??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BolivianRams

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, so I recently purchased this peat moss planning on adding it to my filter to soften and lower the pH of my 16g tank. I am currently breeding bolivian rams and glowlight tetras and I found it to be more successful with softer water and lower pH. Anyways, my concern is that on the back of this green miraclegro sphagnum peat moss bag, it says "This product is formulated from sphagnum peat moss and fertiliser" The total analysis is: Nitrogen (.05%), Available phosphate (.02%), Soluble Potash (.04%). Derived from ammonium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, calcium phosphate, and potassium sulfate. I just rinsed the peat in hot water before adding it in my tank, it is about the size of a golf ball in a mesh net. I also removed the carbon from the filter so that the tanning/pH can be lowered.

Is this peat safe for aquarium use? If not what do you recommend?

I wouldn't think so... If it's not poisonous, then you're going to have a pretty big algae problem soon.

I wouldn't use it. Ammonium nitrate will cause high nitrate levels and maybe ammonia problems too. Look for pure peat moss without the fertilizers.

okay thanks a lot guys, do you think lowes or walmart maybe target sells them?

I use a brand called Premier Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss......no additives,green & white bag also.Premier

I bought it at a local garden center.........try Googling it.

Good luck! :)

I found a pic online....HTH.

Sphagnum-Peat-Moss735051.jpg

You could check the Lowes, HD, and Walmart. I didn't find it at mine, but maybe one of those stores in your area carries it. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Don'T Use Miracle Grow

Don't use the Miracle Grow peat moss. It has ammonia nitrate and a and alot of other Fertilizers including a wetting agent. Polyacrylamide which is another no no. Use a course grade peat moss which you can get at Nursery centers.

Don'T Use Miracle Grow

Hello, so I recently purchased this peat moss planning on adding it to my filter to soften and lower the pH of my 16g tank. I am currently breeding bolivian rams and glowlight tetras and I found it to be more successful with softer water and lower pH. Anyways, my concern is that on the back of this green miraclegro sphagnum peat moss bag, it says "This product is formulated from sphagnum peat moss and fertiliser" The total analysis is: Nitrogen (.05%), Available phosphate (.02%), Soluble Potash (.04%). Derived from ammonium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, calcium phosphate, and potassium sulfate. I just rinsed the peat in hot water before adding it in my tank, it is about the size of a golf ball in a mesh net. I also removed the carbon from the filter so that the tanning/pH can be lowered.

Is this peat safe for aquarium use? If not what do you recommend?
It is not safe it has amonium nitrate and polyacrylamide which is a real no no. Go to a nursery store. Not a Home Depot type of store. Purchase course grade peat moss with no fertilizers.

Back
Top Bottom