Mixing tail types in bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreek

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone here have experience with mixing different bettas to get "mutts"? i'm (very) new to breeding bettas and i'm having trouble picking pairs

my males, (if i can figure it out, i'll try to post photos!)

red/blue dragon butterfly male, 2 yrs
red/white dragon plakat male, 6 months
red/white/blue koi plakat male, 5/6 months(?)
blue/pink/purple delta male, 1+ years
(not including my 3+ yr olds since they're lazy and wont make nests)

my females,

white/light pink/blue dumbo female, under 1 year
blue crowntail female, under 1 year
yellow crowntail female, under 1 year
red crowntail female, under 1 year

as you can probably tell i dont have many options for females and atm my lfs doesnt have any non crowntail girls. (darn you, crowntail breeders!)

i want to breed my red CT female with my butterfly male to possibly get some combtail dragons, but i've heard its risky breeding CTs with long-fins b/c the fry can have some ugly tails & can be pretty impossible to sell.

if anyone has advice of what i should do, please do give!

I'd try the blue CT female with your red/white/blue koi plaket. But he's still very young. If that is his age. Think that would give you more of the crown tail look and very nice coloring. How are you gonna breed them? And you do know the risks of your female while breeding them I hope. Sometimes the male will kill the female. And if you wanted to breed the "lazy older" betta. Just try what alot of breeders do. Float the female in a vase or cup in the tank for maybe a week or so. And just see if the male starts making a nest. If so you might have a shot. Just be careful with your females they are alot younger. I know they can still breed at the age they are but sometimes things don't always work out. I've been wanting to get into breeding my Betta's too. I'm just waiting for my female to get older.

I'm not 100% sure of his age, but my lfs says they usually sell males at 6 months or so. I was gonna empty one of my 10 gallons and use that as the spawn tank, I'm ordering some indian almond leaves to boil and use the tannins for the tank & a sponge filter. I've been doing tons of research and have almost everything ready, except I still don't know what i'm gonna do with housing fry. i've seen a lot of mixed opinions on jarring the males when they get older. & as for the male possibly killing the female, yes i do know and i'm hoping it doesn't happen! he *seems* docile enough, doesn't even flare at his own reflection.

I'd pick up alittle tank for the male. It's just easier. jars you'll be changing the water out daily. Alittle 2-3 gallon or if you have another 10gallon just get a divider to save on a heater.

i was thinking about getting a 20g long and making a bunch of dividers for the fry when they're older. the male is currently in his own 10 gallon and the female is in a sorority in my 55g. when the female goes into the spawn tank, how long does it usually tank for her to drop eggs? i'm gonna float her in a vase next to him for a few days to be sure theyre a good pair

You know about the strip that forms on the female that indicates she's got eggs? (Yes?) When your male has the nest formed good and she's got that strip then they are ready and it shouldn't take long at all when you actually put them together. You just gotta watch them.

Back
Top Bottom