Mollie Pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stargazer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
How can you tell if a live bearing fish is pregnant? One of my females just had some fry and I am beginning to suspect that my other female may be prego. If so, what should I do?!? Don't want them to get eaten, but I don't want to move her too soon. Just wanna keep any babies protected.

Welcome to AA! And YAYY for E. Wash!!!
You should see a gravid spot on her, and the best thing to do is google a pic of a gravid spot on a livebearer.
You can get a breeder net or box for them, or get them their own grow-out tank. :)

It's crazy though. I didn't even know the other female was pregnant. She's much much bigger than all my other fish. But my mollie is all white and is now displaying brown highlights around her body. I wish I had another tank to put her in.

Can I place her in a two gallon fish bowl? My water heater is set for 10-30 gallon tanks and I can't set the level. :(

I wouldn't put her in the bowl, it's too little, and the ammonia in there will kill her and possibly the babies too. Do you have plants in your tank? The babies will know how to hide out, so those would be good, especially floating ones. You can get a breeder box or net at the pet shop. :)

Here's a pic of a gravid spot:
http://aquariumhobbyist.com/guppies/gravid.jpg

Moved to Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
and

welcometoaa.gif

The anal fin will have a small brown/black spot. this is her gravid spot. this is a sure sign of pregnancy. Good Luck and welcome to AA!

Back
Top Bottom