mollies and swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wiggles24

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible for a Mollie to breed with a swordtail or platy? Mine just had babies last night after being pregnant FOREVER and I am trying to figure out who the daddy is lol

It is not possible for the two to crossbreed, Guppies, Mollies, etc. belong to a family called Poecilia. And the Platy, Swordtail, etc. belongs to the Xiphophorus family. Sadly these two families cannot cross.

Just did more looking into this and there is no way a Molly can breed with either a Platy or Swordtail.

Is it possible for a Mollie to breed with a swordtail or platy? Mine just had babies last night after being pregnant FOREVER and I am trying to figure out who the daddy is lol

I am unsure because I have not researched this but my lfs has said female mollies can carry sperm; therefore, reproduction can be a continuous cycle without a male present

She could have gotten pregnant at the lfs and just had her fry now. How long have you had her?

I am unsure because I have not researched this but my lfs has said female mollies can carry sperm; therefore, reproduction can be a continuous cycle without a male present

Yes this is true. It can happen up to six times off one breeding.

From what I have read normal gestation seems to be about 6 to 8 weeks. Is that correct? She was closer to three months when she had them

Wiggles24 said:
From what I have read normal gestation seems to be about 6 to 8 weeks. Is that correct? She was closer to three months when she had them

I think it's 28 days

It's usually 4 weeks could be a little longer. Have never heard 3 months tho. How do you know for sure she was pg that long to be exact?

OK so this is the story. I bought three mollies I put them in one of my thirty gallons. Two of the mollies were picking on the third (she was a girl the other two boys but I didn't realize it) anyways this went on for a couple weeks I finally decided to move the one they were picking on cuz all she was doing was sulking in the corners. I moved her to my 50 gallon the only other livebearers in that tank were swotdtails and platies. She lived it in that tank and she grew quite a bit she was now much bigger than the other two mollies in the 30 gallon. She was in that tank for about two months I moved the swprdtail/platties into a different tank to make room for different fish so I decided to try and move the Molly back to her tank too. Maybe it was the smaller sized tank but it was apparent immediately that she was not just big but she wad quite pregnant. Anyways I thought she was going to pop any day but it took about three weeks for her to finally have the babies. That's why I am confused......if it was possible to breed with a swordtail or platy then her pregnancy could of been the "normal" time but if the male mollies got her pregnant before moved her then she was pregnant for about three months....idk I am confused

Platy's and swordtails can not get Molly's pregnant. Like it was said it is a bazaar situation to see a Molly pregnant for 3 months. Unless maybe she didn't feel it was safe to have them I am not sure. I know they can delay having them if conditions don't suit them but never heard that long.

Livebearers can store sperm until they are ready to have fry. It could and most likely be that she simply waited to use the sperm until a month ago when she was comfortable. Congrats btw

I don't believe that it is possible for a livebearer to carry for that amount of time. Normal gestation is 28 days. Now what could be possible is that she aborted each drop because of stress and just kept inseminating herself for months and finally had a drop when it came to the third month.

Back
Top Bottom