Mollies stopped producing fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KateFM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 60litre tank with 2 clown loach 1 male, 2 female plus 2 not sure yet lyre tail Mollies, some harlequins and some neon tetras. Water levels are good although ph quite high due to area I live in. In the last 10 months I have had about 4/5 batches of Molly fry (most eaten) but nothing for several months now. Would there be a reason for them stopping breeding? Thanks all :)

So you have 2 mollies and you don't know the gender I think they may have stored the males special juice and in the pet shop then the babies were laid when they got to ur tank bc mollies can store males special juice for months even a year

To find the gender of a mollie look at the back fin if it is fan shaped its a female if its cylinder shaped with a point it's a male

Also if you have mollies u need to add aquarium salt to the tank and clown loaches cannot be placed in a tank with salt bc they are a scaleless fish the will also grow to about a foot each so their size may be stressing the mollies out I'd say get rid of the CL and they'll start breeding again

Def have a male in there. Different shape/struts around a bit !/chases females.

Note what you say about loach but they seem ok tankmates together and nobody bullies anyone else so don't think mollies are being stressed by them. Will keep an eye on that.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom