Mollies/Swordtails/Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2fishies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know Mollies And Guppies can cross breed but can either one cross breed my Sword tails? I have tons of babies but none seem to be getting Swords? All fry are about 3months.

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

hello,

it is possible, but less likely. i have never had the experience of it happening to my fish, however i do know people who have.

good luck:cool:

I have two fresh water minnows. Can they mate with guppies i got some new kind of weird looking fish
Guppies with minnow bodies

Sent from my LGLS675 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mollies and guppies can crossbreed. They're both a member of the poecilia genus. And the gonopodiums are almost alike which enables them to mate with eachother.
Swordtails and platies are members of the xiphophorus genus and also the gonopdiums of the males of the xiphophorus genus differ from mollies and guppies which won't enable them to mate with mollies nor guppies.
A lot of people don't know that the shape of gonopodiums do differ. Which is important to know wether different livebearers can mate or not with another.
So, it depends mostly on the shape of the gonopodium wether they can crosbreed or not. And not just because they're all livebearers. Goodeids (splitfins) however belong to the real livebearers but the males don't have a gonopodium but an andropodium.

Back
Top Bottom