Molly and guppy crossbreed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Georgia777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm new here so hopefully I can figure everything out quickly, but please bare with me while I try to figure it out.

In my aquarium i have two male guppies and two female mollies, I had the guppies first and later got the mollies because I didn't think it was possible for them to crossbreed. After a few days however I noticed that it looked like one of the males was trying to mate with my silver female mollie. I then did a little research and found out that it is possible for them to breed and that the offspring will just not be able to reproduce.

When I got home from work today I looked into my aquarium and one of the female mollies had given birth to three fry! I quickly went out and bought a net breeder to separate the fry so that they wouldn't get eaten or sucked up in the filter. I also fed them with flake food I smashed between my fingers to make as tiny as possible, which they quickly ate. After 4 hours I have yet to see any other fry that have been born and I'm checking at least every 20 minutes to make sure I catch all of them so the total is still only at 3.

Out of the many fish that I have had over the years this is the first time any of my live bearers has given birth and I was wondering if some people could give me advice on how to care for the fry and if anyone on here has dealt with this odd crossbreed and has any information they could give me. Thanks.

image-497822198.jpg

The three gollie fry in a plastic bag before I got the net breeder they are in now.

image-2892851898.jpg

I'm pretty sure that these are the parents because they are always together and I saw him trying to mate with her.

How long have you had the female mollies? If I am not mistaken, female mollies can hold sperm for several months so they can continue to have fry even if no male is present.

That's what I was going to ask. It's possible to have a hybrid between the two but it's pretty rare. Females are almost always pregnant while still in the store. Some LFS will keep sexes separate but all it takes is one boy in the bunch (misidentified or otherwise) to knock them all up.

Male livebearers, especially guppies, will try to mate with everything and anything including each other and inanimate objects lol.

I've had both of the female mollies for a few months. I know they can store the sperm for a while, but the male guppy was and still is quite relentless about trying to mate with her so if the fry aren't his then I think something is wrong with him. Lol

But even if they are just mollie fry I would still like advice if anyone has any, because I've never had any of my previous live bearers give birth.

Also does anyone know how long it takes for the fry to start getting their colors?

Colors depends on tank temperature, food, and overall health. Higher temps make them mature faster and more food is a must! Also lights MUST BE ON for at least 8 hours a day. If you keep them in darkness to long their spines can curve.

Alright thank you! I've been trying to feed them little bits often which is what I read somewhere but I had no idea about the light needing to be on or what could happen if it was turned off for a long time.

Also about what temperature would you say to try to keep the aquarium at?

So I should keep it at the higher end of the normal aquarium temperature range?

Alright thanks a lot! :) Do you have any other advice? I just want to make sure I give the little guys/girls the best chance of making it that I can.

If you are able too try in the future to set up a nursery tank. I have found that my fry have a more fighting chance of they are by themselves without the fear of them being eaten. As for now advice, just keep the water clean and feed them a few times a day.

Well I'm hoping that neither of my female mollies have babies again, because I don't really have anywhere to put more than the three fry I have now. But I plan on keeping them in the breeder until they get bigger and then let them into the rest on the tank when I think they won't get eaten. I do have a 5 gallon aquarium though without a filter. Would buying an air pump and bubble wand or something like that work?

Back
Top Bottom