Molly babies?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hal9089

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I recently set up a 20gal and started off with a couple platys and one Molly.. When I got home from work and went to feed them I realized there were 3( that I've seen so far) babies! I've never dealt with this... Any advice?

So I recently set up a 20gal and started off with a couple platys and one Molly.. When I got home from work and went to feed them I realized there were 3( that I've seen so far) babies! I've never dealt with this... Any advice?
Hi, i'm assuming you cycled the tank first before you added the fish right??. All you need is a floating breeding trap or a breeding net. Try and catch the little fellas. They're very fast!!. Do you know the sex of the molly or the platy??

Make shoure there is a good plant for the babys to hide in and leave them to it I find with young it is best to not try to ceep them all alive it sounds harsh but the mother will pick off the weaker ones so to help the others and the mum gets back to condition faster or you can have a dirty breding net in your tank for months I found them to cause wight spot and other infection thay but do make a hang over plastic tank that is driven by air and sits on the outside of the tank giving up to 2lr of extra space I found this a much beter solution and you can find them on ebay cheep but the best way is the natural way

I have a molly that's given birth a few times as well. What I've done is separated the male from the female, and left the babies in their mother's tank. The other fish might eat the babies (depending on how often you feed them), but my molly tends to just ignore them. Unfortunately, the females can store fertilized eggs so she could give birth a few more times. What I would do is find a pet store that's willing to take the babies because they really crowd up the tank. Good luck!

Got any fry food?

Don't need fry food just crush up the food you feed the adults into a fine powder between two spoons.

If it is well planted a few fry will survive, the male molly and platy will have a long narrow fin under belly and the female will have one that fans out. Molly can hold sperm up to 5 breedings without a male, if you don't plan on breeding I would keep female only of both breeds males will fight for dominance if you keep more than one and or will fight over females.

Back
Top Bottom