molly breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymania

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just got a new molly from the pet store today and i asked about breeding mollies. she said this one is probally pregnate so i got a breeding net and put her in and she is fat so i was wondering how long till she gives birth, how many fry does she have, what temperature should it be do i need a heater, and when do i start feeding them and what. i am brand new at this never had fry before this is actually one of my first real fish tank :D

Last edited:
its been running one week before i got them and the ph is 7.6

Mollies like it warmer- I would say at least 78 degrees. The will eat the fry if given a chance, but then again, so will many other fish

As far as how long- that's impossible to tell for us, especially without seeing. Most mollies I have dealt with looked like they were going to explode a couple of days before giving birth.

like guppy lover said...is your tank cycled? also, 78 is fine for fry, and the warmer it is the more likely a mollie is to breed. Mine when crazy at 86. That was to kill ich, not for breeding the mollies. I'd also suggest buying a breeding net or cage of some kind, and perhaps some Vitamin Enriched Daphnia. Mine really loved it, and its small enough from them to eat.

And mollies are partially brackish fish. So if you don't have any other fish you can add some salt, but we'll talk about that later. That isn't to say you have to though, only that they're said to do better with with some salt. You'll know you molly is about to give birth (just days away) when the belly (which should look extended) starts to square off. If the molly is of a lighter shade, you might also be able to see the fry inside.

What species is the fish? Ballon, regular, lyre tail?

Back
Top Bottom