Molly breeding conditions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I was just wondering if Molly's were completely fresh or brackish fish because I have gotten mixed answers and am also considering breeding them alongside swordtails. Does anyone know?

I am currently breeding Black Sailfin Mollies and also Lyretail Golden Panda Mollies both in 100% freshwater tanks. Never added any salt and they are doing just fine. I think they do fine in both brackish and non-brackish water. The 10g fry tank that I transfer them into also has no salt added..

Good luck! They breed like crazy and once you get a good female you'll be having around 20-40 fry. Mine started out with 3 first spawn, 10 second spawn and on and on.. Keep track of birthing dates and it will be much easier to keep fry alive!

I am currently breeding Black Sailfin Mollies and also Lyretail Golden Panda Mollies both in 100% freshwater tanks. Never added any salt and they are doing just fine. I think they do fine in both brackish and non-brackish water. The 10g fry tank that I transfer them into also has no salt added..

Good luck! They breed like crazy and once you get a good female you'll be having around 20-40 fry. Mine started out with 3 first spawn, 10 second spawn and on and on.. Keep track of birthing dates and it will be much easier to keep fry alive!

Thanks! And also is it true that mollies have a lot of offspring?

Thanks! And also is it true that mollies have a lot of offspring?

As stated in the second paragraph, Yes. It does depend on her size and age and how many spawns.. Mine started out with 3 fry first spawn, 10 fry second spawn and on and on.. Adult females can have about 50 fry in one spawn.

I will try to take some pics of my mating pair and their fry tonight.

I will second what Bman024 is saying. Through personal experience, I am breeding guppies. If the female is giving birth the first time she will give birth about 2, but the next time for me, i notice she give birth about 20 the second time around.

I have 2 silver mollies I brought 2 weeks ago, 1 is bigger than the other. The shop owner said they were pregnant but I don't thing so, is there a way to tell if they're pregnant? And when to put them In a floating breeding tank?

I have 2 silver mollies I brought 2 weeks ago, 1 is bigger than the other. The shop owner said they were pregnant but I don't thing so, is there a way to tell if they're pregnant? And when to put them In a floating breeding tank?

Well if your sure they are female (their anal fin will be bigger and puffed out all the time) then you will also see a gravid spot. (black spot above the anus) This will get bigger as birth nears. My mollies swim up and down the glass and act real weird when they are ready to give birth. I don't put them into breeding net myself as we have many plants and hiding spots so we just catch the fry with with a net and they are moved into our 10g fry tank.

Soon enough you will have these!

Attachments

• IMG_1511.jpg
    IMG_1511.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1513.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 155
Yea they're def females, but no dark spot, I've been doing loads of looking up and everyone says mollies don't have a visible dark spot, they have been in a tank with with a black male mollie so if they breed like people say they do I don't see any reason why 1 or even both are up the duff so to speak

Yea they're def females, but no dark spot, I've been doing loads of looking up and everyone says mollies don't have a visible dark spot, they have been in a tank with with a black male mollie so if they breed like people say they do I don't see any reason why 1 or even both are up the duff so to speak

They will be prego shortly if not already. They will literally look like they are going to explode when they are ready to birth. Watch how they act, that was the biggest sign for me. They swim up and down the glass and bang their belly trying to get the darn things out.
This one pictured had 3 fry her first spawn and this is what she looked like. She births about the 25th of each month and right now on her 3rd spawn she is much bigger than in the pic. (sorry it's not the best pic)

Attachments

• IMG_1195.jpg
    IMG_1195.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 168
That's a nice looking mollie, the bigger 1 I have has always done that and always seems to go for all the other fish if they get to close, she is very funny when she does it.

image-225400898.jpg

How do I see the photos? I'm new to this.

She's a silver mollie, I have 2 of them

I had a marble mollie and that also died after only 2 days, was my best fish, I want to get more marble mollies but I can't find them now

I was able to take a couple good pics of my mating lyretail golden panda molly pair last night. She is about half way through her 3rd spawn.

Attachments

• IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1534.jpg
    IMG_1534.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 177
That looks massive, looks ready to pop already, ill get some pics of my bigger silver molly.
I've had them for 2 weeks but doesn't look at big as that

This is the best 1 I could get, she's moving around loads eating at everything

image-3456886344.jpg

HAHA Yeah, they do not photograph well! Everytime I try to get a pic they bolt off. My female chases the male off all the time. She def runs the show. She is due around the 25th of each month. She birthed 10 that we caught her second spawn but we don't use nets so she ate some of them too.. I am hoping we will have 20+ this time!

Yours will prob only have a few fry it's first spawn so she won't get quite as big as my fatty! ;) That is a nice looking guppy also! You breeding them as well?

Back
Top Bottom