Molly can anyone help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am kind of new to all this and I was wondering if anyone could help I had three Molly's I then found a baby Molly Not long after finding it a big Molly died I only found one baby in the tank and it was a few days maybe a bit more and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my white Molly is pregnant as my other adult Molly wont leave her alone and should I get a breeding net so I get more Molly fry survive

image-3766045018.jpg

Attachments

• image-849412959.jpg
    image-849412959.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2402269936.jpg
    image-2402269936.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 105
  • image-1228252045.jpg
    image-1228252045.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1249763971.jpg
    image-1249763971.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 108
Good chance it will be pregnant! A breeding net or small separate tank will be the best method of getting the fry to survive as bigger fish will eat them / or they get stuck in filters!

Generally mine bred every 4 weeks since they first gave birth to fry!

Thank you when should I separate her

Thanks when should I separate her and how can I tell when she is about to have them the male won't leave her alone

Hi :)

She's definitely quite large. Looks similar to most of mine before birthing..
I've never used breeder nets/boxes only because I don't want to stress them out.
I either move the female when she's quite large and square to her own 10g and wait till she gives birth and then move her back to main tank ... OR ... I watch very carefully for babies and move the babies to a 10g to grow up there for 6-8 wks before moving them to a bigger grow out tank.

What size tank are they in?
How many fish/what kind?

id say preg or fat as mollies are very greedy fish and get fat easy.
well molly fry are the easiest to look after and can be kept in certain tanks whilst with the adults, many will say that the adults will eat them but if the adults are fed well but not overfed of course then the fry grow up okay. i breed them all the time especially dalmatian mollies. if you have other species in the tank they may get the fry depends i keep tetras with them and it a-okay. By the way chances are it will be at night when they pop out as ive 97 % found this.

She looks pregnant to me but not due yet. You will find her belly fills out more at the back as well as the front when she's due.

Males will chase females all day every day, they're sexual appetite is insatiable.

Please don't put her in a breeder net it will just stress her out. If you have another tank then you can separate her, otherwise pop some dense plants into your tank for the fry to hide in once they're born.

No breeders nets,boxes,tanks... wait yes a nursey tank might be nice at least some seperation that is what i do with my female every time before she gives birth. Or just get lots of plants and hidding spots for the fry to hide in. Looks like you have alot in the pictures. And my male chases my pregnant female 24/7. Keep all fish fed well, not over fed, just fed well. I made that mitake once.

I haven't got another tank I am not a breeder I got the tank so me and my son has something nice to look at but I only found one baby when I noticed them but wanted to save more this time so I could give some to a friend

do you have any little tank dividers to divide her of from the rest of the tank then. And well what other fish do you have in the tank because you could probably watch her and let her do it in the tank the as soon as they come out possibly have a breeder net alrealy in the tank to save them in. Posibly..??

I have a adult male Molly a baby male Molly a pitball two guppies and ten neons someone told me my tank is crowded I have a 18.8 gal tank

Katey said:
I have a adult male Molly a baby male Molly a pitball two guppies and ten neons someone told me my tank is crowded I have a 18.8 gal tank

It is a little bit. Keep up your weekly water changes and keep your nitrates low and it will be fine. Mollies and plecos have a high bioloads (poop a lot) so that is why you are slightly overstocked. How much water do you change a week? Do you own a test kit?

Mumma.of.two said:
It is a little bit. Keep up your weekly water changes and keep your nitrates low and it will be fine. Mollies and plecos have a high bioloads (poop a lot) so that is why you are slightly overstocked. How much water do you change a week? Do you own a test kit?

I change about a quarter of the water yes I do have a test kit and how come if i'm overstocked my tank looks so empty

Katey said:
I change about a quarter of the water yes I do have a test kit and how come if i'm overstocked my tank looks so empty

Not grossly over stocked. Just a little :) it's because you have fish in there that poop more than other fish there same size. (mollies and pleco).

See I'm new to all this and only got it for something pretty lol sad I know

your white female is beautiful! and yes, she's pregnant.
the method i use is to get some floating plants (real or fake, doesn't matter) because mollies naturally like to be right under the light. what do you think the babies try to do? BAM, easy targets. i also have a breeding net that i catch and keep fry in, once they are about 0.5cm long, i move them to my 10g tank. (my nursery) i've been using this method for 3months now, and it's worked great so far. i would absolutly recommend my method :)

You might want to cover the filter intake for a few weeks. If it's a tube type, you can get a little piece of pantyhose and rubber band it on there.

Thank u every one she still hasn't had them yet and if u think my white girl is stunning u would love my male he is orange and black

Back
Top Bottom