Molly/Cichlid breeding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.brehun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, i have a 75 gallon with mixed community fish and a few cichlids. About 3 or 4 weeks ago we threw some baby mollies in as bait.

Fortunately one survived and continues to live as one of the cichlids. Oddly enough, he follows around one of the female Jack Dempsies constantly and rubs against her and tries to breed.

She calmly allows everytime and does not care. As she is 3 times bigger than him she does not seem to be stressed out. since the molly has daily sex with her, i was wondering if she could have babies with him. Never tried to crossbreed so if any information, please explain! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405790496.492698.jpg

Haha, not even the slightest chance. Mollies are livebearers, and all cichlids have eggs of some sort. Plus the two species aren't even distantly related.

Because it's a male livebearer, they will try to have sex with anything that moves until the day they die lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Livebearers and chiclids can not breed.
Your little molly is just a little man grown up.
It's his instincts to breed with everything he sees.
Sometimes they harass other fish so much because of this, they get killed.

Also I know this thread is old but if that's your "Jack dempsey" it's actually a firemouth.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nah thats from awhile back

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom