Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-21-2005, 11:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Molly fry

Went to clean the 20 gal tonight and suprise! I have molly fry! I have no idea how old they are,less than a week for sure. Can I net them and move them to a safer tank? Or should I wait until they get a bit bigger? Thanks in advance!

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I can only find 2 fry, it is possible the others have been eaten or she hasn't finished giving birth. I am rather blown away. She didn't look gravid, but then again, she is a dalmation molly so it is hard to tell.

I think I am going to try and catch them in a breeder tank then transfer them. I just don't feel comfortable with a net.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My Experience

Well, in the last month, our molly has given birth twice...with about 50 fry each time. The first time, the molly hid under the air stone decoration while giving birth. Of course, I moved out the adult fish to a bigger tank. All the fry are still alive (just moved 25 of them to the 55 gallon. They are about a half inch long). The same fish just gave birth again friday.

With the new batch, I noticed that they tend to stay out of the way of their older siblings, even though their brother and sisters are too small to eat them.

Do you have a lot of decoraction and such in the tank? They might be hiding. When I put the older ones in the 55 gallon, the first day or so they stayed out of sight of the rest of the fish. Survival instinct I would imagine.

Of course, the Angels could of eaten most of them If there are any left, I would get a breeding net. I was gonna go that route but it would of been way too crowded for them. Hope this helps.

Steve

Oh, forgot to add that she was done giving birth with an couple of hours.
Scooterbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fry, molly

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com