Molly Fry not Swimming- Belly Sliding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katgurl48

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I am new to this and I have gone from 15 fry to 10 down to 6 and now only one of my fry is swimming at the top and eating. The rest are eating but not swimming correctly, they are sliding almost like tadpoles? Are they malformed? I should also say they are only 3 days old.

Last edited:
What are your ammonia level? Water changes has always helped me to make the baby mollies come around. I would suggest to do a 50% water ASAP and if you have API salt the baby mollies love that it helps with there fins and it cures what ever they might have.

Molly Fry

So I am new to this and I have gone from 15 fry to 10 down to 6 and now only one of my fry is swimming at the top and eating. The rest are eating but not swimming correctly, they are sliding almost like tadpoles? Are they malformed? I should also say they are only 3 days old.

Hello kat...

Unless you have access to a microscope and a background in fish biology, it's difficult to know what's wrong. I'd recommend adding a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every five gallons of your water change water and start changing half the tank water weekly. It may also help your fish if you increase the tank temp to about 80 degrees for a few days. A combination of a little salt and warmth in the water to calm the fish and a lot of pure, treated tap water flushed through the tank can do wonders.

Just a thought.

B

Also the fry may just have large fronts( guts or whatever) and be trying to scavenge food , I have a batch of fry they all did that and they are all fine up to this day they are normal give the remaing fry some time

Back
Top Bottom